Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Babies look great...

They bronze ones will change over time. Hershey, got that name because he was the same brown color as a juvie. and is now almost solid red. Seems like once they hit around the 2" mark they change pretty fast. If they have Shub. linage they will color up at a smaller size.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Well, I ended up with three boys and three girls, by accident, when I picked out the original crowd, and both shubs are boys, so odds are pretty good there are some shubbush babies, tho no purebreds! The kids are calling them shubunchkins :)

Jen

Tastey

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Look at your babies!! YAY! What kind of plant was in the top pic that looked like a clover leaf?

I'll have to take more pics of my babies soon... thinking about getting a male Shub at the pet store today that they have incorrectly marked as koi.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Tastey,
It's called a water clover...go figure LOL!! Marsilea mutica if you are after the botanical name :) Mine has kinda fizzled out in the pot, but sent runners all over the place, with leaves coming up from 2 feet down in the pond. Those leaves in the pic are a good three feet away from the original pot. The thin green line you can see running along the bottom in a couple of the pics is one of it's runners, with the leaves coming up from it...

Jen

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Oh, wow! Yeah, wish I lived closer, too! I'm heading out to pick up some hyacinths tomorrow to toss in there.

What's the plant growing out of the fountain? That's a neat effect with the cascading water and the cascading plant!

I love your shubs. You know, they are a big part of the reason I want some shubs in my pond! Gah! I wish there was an instant cycle switch! :)

Your pond is so, so pretty!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Pallas Athena,
Sorry, can't talk to you yet...no good pond pics!!! :nono:

The plant in the fountain is a creeping jenny, lysimachia munnularia. The kind they sell in the regular garden store is exactly the same kind they sell in the pond shops, for about half the money. It was in a 2" pot, and maybe 4" long when I got it, and now it is trailing down into the water, and coming back up again! It is a perennial when out in the dirt, and does a GREAT job planted next to a pond, where it trails down into the water and hides odd edges or plumbing. I don't know if this one will make it, since it is barely in the water, and may freeze solid this winter, but I will take some cuttings and keep them in a jar on the window sill til spring, and have new ones for next year just in case.

I may get shot for this by other pond people, but when I first joined this forum, I had just left a healthy happy pond, with no special filtration, never added chemicals, never tested water, fish plopped in about thirty seconds after the pond was full...and everything did just fine. That pond was up and running for 4 years before we moved, fishies had babies, plants flourished, never had a problem, except with racoons, and a test kit won't help there :). I asked if I needed all that stuff, and water changes, gravel vaccing, etc that I had been reading about here, and was pretty much told you don't really do all that stuff in a pond. That being said, and being only from my own experience, I think your fishies will be fine. They have alot more water to trash now, and if you get plants in there pronto they will do an amazing job of helping to keep your water in good shape, too.

I love my shubbies, too! I had actually planned on plain pond comets and sarassas, but fell in love with them when I went to the LFS! And now I have a whole herd of little polka dotted fishies!

Jen

Sheesh!! What would this post look like if I WAS talking to you?!

Last edited:

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Gratuitious baby pics!!!

Spent some time out with the fish yesterday, picking out dead leaves and such, and got to see just about everyone out playing in the sunshine! Here are some of the newbies...I think we counted 16 or 17 in that shot!:jaw-dropping:
(The bricks are keeping my cattails from tipping over in the wind!)
IMG_5633.JPG
Check out these next two...
"Who's your daddy?" That'd be Indigo, one of my shubs, in the lower shot, and Indy Jr.,(?) in the upper one.;)
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5638.JPG

And one last shot, with a teeny baby( Indy Jr.,) and one of the Moms.
IMG_5643.JPG

Love those fishies:woot:!!!
Jen

IMG_5633.JPG IMG_5635.JPG IMG_5638.JPG IMG_5643.JPG

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Oh, they are so pretty! Love the creeping jenny, too. That's a great effect. Ok. Back to gushing about the babies.

I LOVE the little shub! He's so cute with his little spots! And how big is the mama fish with the white and orange coloring? She's really gorgeous!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Momma's name is Bozo, courtesy of the big red spot on her nose, and she is probably 4-5 inches long now. They are just about life-size, at least on my screen :)

Jen

herewebe

Registered Member
Nov 2, 2009
Wow! Your pond is beautiful. Your landscaping is beautiful. Your fish are beautiful and your babies are adorable!! I would never be able to drag myself away to go into the house!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store