Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thanks, everyone for the kind words!
Muske,
Funny you should ask about the lilies, as just in the last day or two I have had one white Tetragona, one red James Brydon(which is pink) and one yellow-to-red (Sioux)bud all break the surface. The white is fully open, the red about half way, and the changing one is just showing color at the tip so far. My yellow Chromatella, which was the first to send up new pads, still has not a bud in sight :( We just came off a week of 95-110 degree weather, which is 10-25 degrees hotter than normal out here, and the lilies LOVED it!! They are well on the way to taking over the planet!

This is their first year in my pond, and three of the four were little pinkie-thick, two inch long rhizomes when I got them this spring. I ordered some of the fertilizer tabs with them, and gave them each one at planting time.

I too love the Japanese maples...have almost as bad an addiction problem with them as I do with the pond! We have been here two years in December, and I have four in the ground and two in pots waiting for me to get more planting areas ready! Good thing I work for a living or I'd be feeding the kids maple leaves and lily pads for dinner every night :) Planted three rhodies around the back side of the pond, but they are babies yet, just a foot or so tall, and have a few azaleas scattered here and there, too. THEY were not so happy with the heat wave, and I have a few that are looking pretty crispy at the moment. Have to wait and see...

Jen

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Were the Azaleas contain grown or B&B?

All the Azaleas if every planted from containers struggled for a few years. The combination of high summer heat and a soil less mix in the containers made for serious watering schedule since they seemed to dry out everyday.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Some of each...and some that were b&b in a container...I think mine struggled because the root system is so shallow that even with a daily soaking, the heat was baking all the mositure out of the ground. It's been raining the last two days, so fingers crossed...
Jen

PS I think I have 'jacked my own thread...LOL

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Hey Jennie Beth! Are you my long lost twin! ;) I ADORE Japanese maple trees. They are so pretty!

I am suffering from some serious pond envy over here! Yours if just beautiful! :bowing:

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Time lapse pond-ography!!!

Was reading back thru this thread today, and I can't believe how everything has grown! I mean, I see it everyday and I know things get bigger, but check out the difference a few months can make!:jaw-dropping:

1. Just a week or two after setup in May...
IMG_0479.JPG

2...and the middle of July...
IMG_4905.JPG

3...and today, after a week of 100+ degree weather.
IMG_0661.JPG
Pretty amazing how fast the plants can change the look of a pond...

And, my new lily bloom, with a pig fish trying to suck it up!:grinno:
IMG_5245.JPG

Jen

IMG_0479.JPG IMG_4905.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_5245.JPG

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
It's a 'James Brydon' which is supposed to tolerate more shade than others, and has an appley scent when the sun is out. For being a teeny rhizome this spring, it is going gangbusters...has three more buds, two on the surface and one halfway up.

Funny, it is advertised (all over, books, websites etc,) as a red that is dark pink. Why it lives in the red department and not the pink, I have no idea...
Jen

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Hyacinths like the warmer temps. too...

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Pond update

You asked for it!!!!!

First three are the original 6 fish (the big ones) and some of the new babies. Pic 1 has 2 1/2 of the white ones, Pic 2 shows a couple of the dark babies...there are about 10 of them, some of which are lightening up by the day! They are so hard to photograph, being almost the same color as the rocks. Pic 3 is all of the original crowd, and Spooky, the only baby with a name yet.
4 and 5 are pics of the pond this afternoon. I just had to take out a 5 gallon bucket worth of water hyacinth (too bad you don't live closer, Pallas Athena, I could have sent them your way :) ) because they were so thick you couldn't see water anymore!

What do you think?

Jen
Here is a pic with a bunch of the babies...have to blow it up to see them as they are so dark...
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205924

IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5610.JPG IMG_5612.JPG IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5615.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store