Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
Your pond is very nice, you should be proud. Thanks for the pics.

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
lllooovvveeee your pond! so jealous lol. those babies are beautiful too! you'll have to keep us updated as they get bigger! congrats

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thanks all! I DO have a hard time staying out of the pond :) Much more fun to go do cleaning in the pond than in the house. Good thing the weather gets bad in the winter and the pond activity slows down, or my home would NEVER get cleaned.

It's cold enough here now that I am no longer feeding for the winter, but the babies still seem to get bigger every time I see them. Still waiting for the black babies to start coloring up, but the more shubby-looking ones have all kinds of spots and speckles going on already.

The pond is netted for the winter now...very sad and plain with all the plants dying back.

Jen

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
All the die back is a shame, but it makes the ponds look so much bigger:headbang2: I say this every fall when things start dying off and the whole pond is revealed. I was cleaning out my gutters this weekend and got a good birdseye view of my pond. I will take a few pics. this week and start a thread for seasonal prgression pics. starting from winter into spring and so on. I hope others do the same as the view is awesome from above.

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
keep up the good work

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
That is the million dollar question. This will be the first winter the pond has been around, so it is all experimental at this point. I plan to have a pond heater handy in case I do have freeze issues, as I am not sure if it will freeze from the sides in as well as from the top down. We have had some coldish spells the last few years, and my pond at the old house used to freeze on top, except where the falls kept it open...

...and, the babies are young yet, so I'll have to see how they do, as well.

Jen

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Spring 2011 update!

Hi all,
Thought I'd give you a little update on my pond :)
This is the beginning of the third season in my pond, and it gets better every year! So far, the speedliner is holding up perfectly. No holes, leaks, bad effects on the fish or plants, nothing. It grows a nice fur of algae just like a black rubber liner, cleans up with a toilet bowl brush run around the edges.

I do take the fountain out each winter. Don't want the pot to freeze and crack. So far, the pond has frozen maybe 3-5 inches down, but with the bubbler running all winter, a space stays open, and the fish have done just fine.

I did lose 4 of my original 6 fish to a heron the first fall, so I keep it netted now. Last year I draped the netting over the fountain, and had a huge problem with algae growing in the net and choking the water flow. This year I have raised the net out of the water, so shouldn't have that problem again.

The two fish from the original batch, and a whole slew of babies have made it thru two winters so far, with no deaths :) I have 4 white/spotted babies, around 7 "carrots" (little orange babies look like baby carrots :) ) and 10 or so dark gold/brown babies. The dark ones are really hard to count.
IMG_6716.JPGIMG_6719.JPGIMG_6729.JPG
Water stays really clear, though I do get some algae on the bottom and sides. Once a season or so, I vacuum it out, just to keep the buildup down. Haven't vacc'ed yet this season. As far as the plant go, everything is growing great. Matter of fact, the earliest of my lilies has a pad just about to break the surface :) My favorite time of year!
Happy ponding!
Jen

IMG_6719.JPG IMG_6716.JPG IMG_6729.JPG

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Very pretty! I hope to be able to see my fish clearly one of these days! The initial algae bloom in my pond is beginning to clear, so maybe sooner rather than later. :)

Your fishes are gorgeous! Love the whole thing! :) Tempts me to start an above-ground pond... :D

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Very nice! I always enjoy seeing updates of this pond, shame you have to have the net though but it's better than losing your fishies. Fish look great especially those baby carrots!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store