Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgView attachment 208421
Pond update 2013!
Hi all,
Been away awhile and thought I'd drop you a little pond update!

Speedliner shows absolutely no sign of wear or damage, and it has been in since 2009. Stock tank itself is in perfect condition. Everyone has made it thru another winter just fine. Gash, the last of my original six, is the big mostly white shubunkin at the center bottom of the last pic. Had lots of browns, four whites, and about five orange carrots last year. This year most of the browns have turned orange, including a big female. You can see her nose in the first pic, with a little of her original dark color still showing. She is 2/3 the size of Gash! All the babies are from the same first summer, but the big female is huge, and I have some delicate little orange ones with lovely long finnage that are still tiny. Go figure. Some of the young ones are looking suspiciously chubby, and spending a lot of time back in the water hyacinth roots, so I almost expect to see some fishy fries in there soon.

Landscaping has grown up along with the pond. Doesn't even look like the same place anymore. I did move the fountain closer to one side of the pond last year. Makes for much more room for the water lilies, and much easier for my short arms to reach when I need to adjust the fountain flow.

Take care, all!
Jennifer

fourth pic not showing up except as an attachment link, Gash is also in the first pic :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking great!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
thats really pretty :) I love your set up.
Did you put any pond linning on your stock tank?

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Sabina, I did. I had it speed lined, which is the stuff they spray into truck beds. Looks like rubbery, slightly lumpy paint. There may be a pic of it way back at the beginning of this thread. It was horrendously expensive, and I don't know if I would do it again. There used to be a poster here named desertponder who had stock tank ponds with no lining at all that seemed to do just fine.

That being said, the liner seems to be holding up really well...
Jen

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Oh, so that’s what you meant by speed lining, J
I’ve been looking into getting a 100 gallon galvanized steelstock tank for a pond/aquarium for my comet goldfish. But I’m not really surehow you would put pond lining on metal. I might look into the speed liningthough, if I can’t find anything else.

Also your pond/garden looks amazing. You did a wonderful jobwith both. Those are very lucky fish Jlol.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thanks! I was told after I paid to have mine lined that you can buy the same stuff and paint it on yourself, so you might look into that. I couldn't figure out how I would get a flexible piece of regular pond liner to stay put in the tub...might be able to put a piece in, fill with water to get it all flat and neat, and then glue it over the rim with contact cement...? Or some kind of strap to go around the outside and hold the edge? Like that metal strap you use to secure your water heater to the wall.

Thanks for the kind words! If you get a chance, look at the first pics from back in 2009. Couldn't
believe how much it has all grown up when I went back over the pics today!
Jen

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I’ll have to do that; it will be interesting to see your garden develop. :)
I might try the stuff you can paint on yourself. Though maybeit might work to get the tarp/sheet form of the lining and use contact cement to glue it were the bottom meets the sides and the top edges.
Thanks so much. You’ve been a really big help with all of this. I couldn’t find this information anywhere.

Last edited:

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Sabina,
No worries :) Glad to help.
I think the weight of the water will keep the liner snug against the bottom and sides, it will just be the worry of the liner slumping in at the top, or water/dirt getting in between the liner and walls of the tank.

if you do the paint on stuff, make sure you let it cure thoroughly before you get it wet. It was also recommended to me to fill the tank and let it set for a few days, several times, to make sure all the chemicals that may be leaching from it get a chance to bleed out and get rinsed away.
Jen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store