Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Shua,
I bought it back in 2009 and it was $330.00. I don't live in cattle country, so I had to special order it. There were smaller ones, maybe 6 foot diameter, available at the local feed store. (This one is 8 foot diameter). If I lived other side of the mountains I could have walked in and taken one home the same day, for probably a lot less money :)
Jen

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Sabina,
Your tank is 2' deep and 4' long, if I read the link correctly, so your longest dimension is 2'+4'+2'= 8' (Down one side, across the bottom, and back up the other side).
The shorter way it is 2' deep and 2' across so your short dimension is 2'+2'+2'= 6'
8'x6' gives you no overhang at all though, so you need to add some. A foot on all sides gives you 10x8, and the one you are looking at is 10x7, which is cutting it pretty close. That only gives you six inches of overhang on the sides. Would probably work, but if you could find one a little bigger, I would do it. Much easier to cut off extra than try to add a piece or stretch what you have just a little farther!! When I did my in-ground pond, they recommended 2' of extra on all sides, but that is probably more than you need :)

Home depot may sell a larger piece of liner. There are places online that sell it, but I don't know if the shipping would be horrendous or not. Out here, a lot of nurseries and garden stores carry it, either in precut pieces or by the foot from a big roll.
Hope that helps,
Jen

Last edited:

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks, this does help alot. I got confused trying to figure out all the right dimensions. lol.
I hope everything works out.
Thanks for the ideas, and tips.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Looks great, how both the pond and the landscaping have filled in and matured. Great job!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you for posting an update. It is so beautiful and inspiring! And I am with everyone else, the pond and landscaping have matured wonderfully!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I’ve recently decided that it might be easier to get a 100gallon kiddie pool instead of stock tanks, until Petco has their $1 per gallonsale so I can get the 100 gallon tank for a $100. Since getting the stock tank,filter, lining and such would end up being really expensive. But I’d most likelyhave to put it down in our basement until the sale, and it gets pretty cool andor really cold, the lowest 40 degrees Fahrenheit, especially during winter,since it’s not insulated. I was wondering if you have really cold winters orcool enough nights, what you do to keep your pond at a good temperature foryour fish.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Sabina,
I have had my fish out in the weather for four years now, I think, and have had no problems with the temperature swings. We had one summer where it got up to 110, and was in the 100's for a week, and I had to do partial water changes almost daily or float jugs of ice, just to keep the water cool. On the other extreme, it got down to 7 degrees and was in the teens for a week or so also. The pond had about three inches of ice, except where the fountain kept it open. Again, the fish did just fine. They get less active and tend to stay close to the bottom (warmer down there) but nobody became a fishcicle :) There are stock tank heaters available that people use to keep ice off the water when it is used as a water trough, that are used to keep a pond from icing over, but I don't think it can heat the water like an aquarium heater does.

I don't know if wider, shallower water, like a kiddie pool, will cool more quickly than deeper, smaller surface or not. I would think so.

Dont know if that was helpful or not. My fish went from pet store tank to summer warm pond water, and it gradually cooled to winter temps, so there wasn't a sudden shocking change...

Jen

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
That actually was helpful, it’s still pretty warm here and will be for a while now, but it’s good to know that the fish did ok that cold of weather. I would like to use a heater but since it’s plastic it might melt.Though I was thinking of using insulator or something like that, just around the outside.
Thanks so much for the all the help. I’ve been looking everywere for something cost effective that’s large enough for my comet goldfish. As he needs to be moved very soon, at the moment he’s stuck in a fish bowl:(

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
excellent, excellent thread. congratulations. i'll have to check out the truck bed liner application.

perhaps it's a lot cheaper now -- a couple of weeks ago i saw a brand new Acura SUV completely covered in it!
:jaw:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store