120 DIY Oak Stand & Canopy Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Just a quick update. Worked on the trim this weekend.

I was going for a clean, simple look.

In general, the canopy takes more time and is trickier than the stand. The moving parts take some thinking to get right. Spent a fair amount of time just figuring things out.

Next on to sanding, staining, sealing. Doors are on order, and I can't wait to see them on.

P101.JPGP102.JPGP104.JPGP105.JPGP106.JPGP107.JPG

P101.JPG P102.JPG P104.JPG P105.JPG P106.JPG P107.JPG

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Can I just say "Holy freakin' gorgeous"!!!!
My daughter is heavily invested in this project, and has been assisting me the whole way.

You just put a huge smile on her face. Thank you.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Wow.. looking better all the time.

Nice job

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Thanks for all the kind words. Our woodworking skills are what I would call "developing". I did make a large oak fireplace mantle a few years back, which gave me the courage to attempt this build.

Trust me, the internet has been our friend, and we are looking up things and problem solving every step of the way.

It's a little nerve wracking at times, as once you glue and screw, you better have it right.

So far things are going just as planned. As I don't have a great deal of experience with finishing raw wood, I am researching that now and trying out some test pieces.

Any advice from those with more knowledge than me would be appreciated.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
The bottom openings will have raised panel oak doors, and the canopy openings will have matching raised panel drawer fronts. I found some flip up hinges, so they will flip up for feeding and day to day easy access.

At least that is the plan!

inkdemon

AC Members
Dec 11, 2012
Great work so far! Can't wait to see it stained and finished. Hats off to you and your daughter and some very nice wood working!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store