120 DIY Oak Stand & Canopy Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Well After doing some searching on the web for a magic formula to determine weight holding calculations, I have found the pocket jig hole joinery to be decently strong compared to other forms. the only one stronger according to wood working hobbyist is a mortise and tenon. But the skill required to do those is far out of my reach, LOL.

So I guess what I am trying to get after is, your design must be strong enough and I would like to take you up on your offer for more info.

Samual A.
dodgeguy00@yahoo.com

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Put the doors and handles on this evening…..soooooooo….I think I am finally done!

It’s been quite an adventure, and I appreciate the nice comments from those who have followed this thread. I hope it was interesting, and more importantly, helpful to those who are considering such a project.

Like I said at the beginning, I used threads like this to help me put together a plan, and I hope I gave back just a little bit.

All in all, it came out exactly like I had hoped, and makes a beautiful home for the new tank.

Someday soon I’ll take a video of the tank itself, so you can see what all the work was for.

If anyone has questions that I can help with, I’d be happy to respond.

003 (Large).JPG004 (Large).JPG005 (Large).JPG009 (Large).JPG

003 (Large).JPG 004 (Large).JPG 005 (Large).JPG 009 (Large).JPG

Zardra77

AC Members
Apr 30, 2009
MA
It is absolutely gorgeous, I think this is the only way to get my husband involved in the hobby. He said he would build something for me after I showed him yours. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
It is absolutely gorgeous, I think this is the only way to get my husband involved in the hobby. He said he would build something for me after I showed him yours. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Well, it looks like something good already came of this thread!! Another enthusiast getting into the hobby.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
So I guess what I am trying to get after is, your design must be strong enough and I would like to take you up on your offer for more info.

Samual A.
dodgeguy00@yahoo.com
Samual, just let me know how I can help. I'd be happy to share more details of my experience.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Samual, just let me know how I can help. I'd be happy to share more details of my experience.
Awesome! I can't get over how well that turned out.

I showed my dad your thread, he seemed more than willing to help, so I have support. My stand will have to be modified for a small tank, but completely do-able. I will send you a PM for more details. I really appreciate what you have done and are willing to do for the forum/ me.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well done!

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Got a PM asking for a little more detail on a few items, so I am adding a few pics to clarify.

While it is probably not really necessary, I did put a piece of 5/8” plywood on top of the base. It made me feel better, and provides some extra bracing and resistance to torque, as the top is glued/screwed into the base. I also used plywood for the lower shelf, which is also glued/screwed aswell.

In the first pic, the stand is upside down. That is lower shelf.

In the second pic, you can see that the lower shelf is also screwed into the inside 1x12" on the end piece.

Hope that is helpful.

P1100055 (Large).JPGP1100061 (Large).JPGP1100059 (Large).JPG

P1100055 (Large).JPG P1100059 (Large).JPG P1100061 (Large).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store