10 gallon idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Ok I am tired of arguing with you. This is like two un-killable dragons trying to kill each other, no one wins
No, it is called difference in opinion. Stocking suggestions are not hard rules. You can think rightfully so that an otto cat be just fine in a 10 gal. Others think that an otto cat should be in a small group. Maybe you don't think so and believe they do just fine by themselves. And maybe you would agree that having 4 or 6 otto cats in a 10 gal is too many, even though you still think that a single one would work out. There is a difference in keeping a fish alive and for it to thrive. And that is just my opinion. Your opinion might be that keeping a fish alive is thriving. Others may think that the only way to keep a fish alive is to make sure it thrives.

Reactions: Anders247

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
No, it is called difference in opinion. Stocking suggestions are not hard rules. You can think rightfully so that an otto cat be just fine in a 10 gal. Others think that an otto cat should be in a small group. Maybe you don't think so and believe they do just fine by themselves. And maybe you would agree that having 4 or 6 otto cats in a 10 gal is too many, even though you still think that a single one would work out. There is a difference in keeping a fish alive and for it to thrive. And that is just my opinion. Your opinion might be that keeping a fish alive is thriving. Others may think that the only way to keep a fish alive is to make sure it thrives.
Right. Fish need room to move, some moreso than others. They need stretching room and each fish has different requirements along these lines. I have friends who have ridiculous stocking, with healthy fish, but they clearly are not happy.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Right. Fish need room to move, some moreso than others. They need stretching room and each fish has different requirements along these lines. I have friends who have ridiculous stocking, with healthy fish, but they clearly are not happy.
By ridiculous stocking you mean too many or the wrong fish mixed together? Bioload overstocking is not that bad if everybody still has enough personal space. Obviously the filtration needs to be sufficient. Except I don't believe that overstocking smallish tanks (like the 10 gal in this thread) is ever going to work out with happy fish.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Exactly, I agree. Not sure why I didn't get the notification of this thread, lol....

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Not sure why there is such a heavy debate here, I've never had a 10g. my first tank was 29g (14 years ago) and until recently I had a 225g and a 120g. I've been keeping mostly cichlids for the past 14 or so years.
Now I'm down to just the 120g and I got a free 10g from a friend, I don't really have the knowledge on small aquariums. I don't intend to keep anything in unfair conditions and I'm not someone new to the hobby who will stock it crazily I was honestly just looking for a few suggestions for such a small aquarium.

I've never kept shrimp and inverts before so thats what I will do, I appreciate the input here helping me to choose my stocking and set up my aquarium but Lets stop arguing and all be friends, we are all fishkeepers afterall :p

on a related note I put some driftwood in there from my 120 and added some smaller stones that lean against the wood and eachother to create little retreats

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Of course you wold post a link of something like that. Why can't you just let it go? I have let it go and he let it go, JUST LET IT GO.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Of course you wold post a link of something like that. Why can't you just let it go? I have let it go and he let it go, JUST LET IT GO.
Dude. It has nothing to do with this "argument".
I'm simply posting that as a list of suggestions.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Bioload should never be an issue. You can treat bioload with filtration and water changes. However, you cannot simply make a tank bigger if your fish need more room. One case is a red jewel cichlid in a Twenty gallon community tank. Technically you could, given proper filtration and changes, but would you want to? Would your peaceful fish appreciate being harassed all the time? Doubt it.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
You know...ember tetras, celestial pearl danios or white clouds could work in there perfectly. A school of 6 of any of those species would be fine (heck, for the embers and celestials....you could easily do 8 or even 10). We're talking 1" fish here. Ratio-wise, that's much better than an oscar in a 125 gallon tank or a convict in a 55 gallon, based upon fish size to tank size.

In an established tank, I think 6 otos would be fine in there. Also, 6-8 Corydoras hastatus would be fine in there as well. They're much more diurnal and school in the mid-water column.

There are more and more tiny fish coming into the hobby these days, and many of them would do good with shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store