10 gallon idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I thought as much that. I know that the only fish that wouldn't bother them are either fish with specialized herbivorous diets or fish that simply wouldnt come into contact with them.
I read that glowlight tetras are generally a safe bet though? The two swordtails will be going out when I get hold of the shrimps.

How many is a good number to start with? the tank is already cycled and mature. A friend of mine should be able to get me some from a local breeder for a dollar or two each, I probably wouldn`t be getting any for another 5 or so days

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
No, otos get 2 inches and need a school of 6+. Not suitable, imho.
Same with glowlights.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, and you'd want the tank to be well established with lots of delicious bio films for the otos anyway.. A 10 wouldn't cut it.

Reactions: Anders247

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Okay thats no problem then I'll just keep the shrimps solo. I'm looking forward to getting them because I've only ever kept marine inverts.

What other inverts would be compatible with shrimps? Snails and stuff?
and also whats a good number of cherry shrimp to start with?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
This is why I don't like threads about stocking a 10 gallon. If a 2 inch betta can live in a 2.5 gallon, then why not another fish that grows the same size maybe a bit smaller live in a 10 gallon?!?!?A 2 inch betta will thrive in a 10 gallon and yet you say that a 1.5 inch tetra or a 2 inch oto wont even live in it does not make sense.

Last edited:

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
This is why I don't like threads about stocking a 10 gallon. If a 2 inch betta can live in a 2.5 gallon, then why not another fish that grows the same size maybe a bit smaller live in a 10 gallon?!?!?A 2 inch betta will thrive in a 10 gallon and yet you say that a 1.5 inch tetra or a 2 inch oto wont even live in it does not make sense.
Because they are more active than bettas, also, unlike bettas, are schooling fish. Also, unlike bettas, need more space to swim because they are more active, unlike bettas found living in puddles and ricefields.
Okay thats no problem then I'll just keep the shrimps solo. I'm looking forward to getting them because I've only ever kept marine inverts.

What other inverts would be compatible with shrimps? Snails and stuff?
and also whats a good number of cherry shrimp to start with?
I'd do 10. Snails would be fine, as long as not assassin. Those are sometimes known to eat shrimp.....

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Ok I am tired of arguing with you. This is like two un-killable dragons trying to kill each other, no one wins

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store