10 gallon idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
N. brevis (1 m, 2 f) would do great in your tank. They need slightly larger shells as they often share a shell when paired up. Fun little fish and will do fine with snails but not sure about shrimp.

Reactions: Anders247

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
That's the only cichlids I'd do in a 10g: shell-dwellers. And not all species can be. N. multifasciatus would work, too.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Think about a dwarf puffer, i hear they have great personalities.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I have decided to do something different and make a planted invert tank. I've kept crays before but never shrimps.
I was thinking of having assorted shrimps, but to begin with just the cherry shrimp. I will pick up iodine suppliment, water conditioner, a filter and a heater later this week.

I have a few questions so please bare with me

1. what would be a good filter ?
2. What plants would be good in a low tech set up, and would sand be an appropriate substrate as I already have some ?
3. Any fish I could keep there too? marbled hatchets maybe because they won`t interract with them
4. could someone recomend a good shrimp food? sinking pellets of some kind?

5. if I fill the 10g with water from my 120, and transplant some bacteria bearing ceramics from my year old filter into the new filter of the 10g would that completely skip the cycle or merely speed it up? I don`t want to stock it all right away I just don`t want to wait weeks before I can put anything in there.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
1 a sponge filter
2 google "low tech and low light plants"
3 Only an oto wont eat shrimp babies
4 I don't know
5 It should be cycle the tank instantly

Last edited:
Reactions: Anders247

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks guys, I have a basic idea of plants as I have some low light requirement plants in my 120 I was just wonderig if any particular species would be good for shrimps, I suppose moss or one of those marimo balls would also be a nice addition.
I was thinkig maybe, java fern, anubias, ludwigia etc
I also have a huge clump of hornwort in my 120 which I can split and add into the 10g

Marble hatchets are apparently suitable for a 10g, surely they wouldn't eat shrimp babies as they will never occupy the same area of the aquarium?

can anyone reccomend a good brand of sponge filter? Most of the filters I see are hang on the backs, which i thought would maximize room inside the aquarium.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
So I got it set up with black sand, a piece of driftwood with an amazon sword planted next to it, and a nice mass of hornwort floating, tank is sitting at 25 degrees after a few days now consistently which I believe is the perfect temp zone for most shrimps

Its filled with water from my 120, and the aquaclear 20 with a sponge prefilter intake has been seeded with 9 month old bacteria harboring scrubbies from my 120.

There are 2 swordtails in there keeping the cycle going until i get shrimp.
Thanks for that Table Neatfish do you have any personal fish you would recommend that would essentially leave the shrimps alone completely, I'm thinking mostly when they are shedding

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
The only fish that are guaranteed to not mess with shrimp are ottos, and they CAN live in a tank that size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store