Water Changes, Stocking for my 10g???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for clearing that up. Also, sorry to repeat the question, but would regular ferts (no CO2, like plain Flourish) have any ill effects?
Thanks,
Brian

Reactions: jimv8673

alan01230

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
I dont see your tank as overstocked regular zebras stay small. you only have 9 small fish in there,

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I personally don't fertilize any of those plants, fish poo should probably be enough. Do you have a test kit for nitrAte? If you keep it between 5 & 20 ppm that should be enough for plants & low enough for fish health. Adding ferts you don't need can lead to all kinds of algae but so can too much or too long of lighting.

Your house plant will take up some nitrate so if it stays low (10ppm or less) you could start with a small amt of ferts, say, right after each weekly water change. The only way to really tell is to test often to see what's happening. How long are your lights on? Are you seeing a lot of algae?

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Nope, not much algae, lights are probably about 13-14 hrs/day. I guess I'll probably just let fish waste do the job.
Thanks for the help everyone,
Brian

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Ok, what sorts of problems? I've never had much of a deal with algae in the tank.
Thanks,
Brian

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Excel kills some plants like valisneria & anacharis. It's not a fertilizer as such, it's used as an algaecide & plants can use it as a sort of co2 substitute. Be careful not to OD your tank, it's also a medical disinfectant in slightly higher concentration than Excel is sold.
I have previously used Excel in tanks with Vals and had no ill-effects. I wouldn't say 100% that it will negatively effect them.

Ok, what sorts of problems? I've never had much of a deal with algae in the tank.
Thanks,
Brian
You really don't need the lights to be on as long as they are; however, if everyone is happy in the tank and you don't have crazy amounts of algae don't change it. Having a planted tank is all about finding the right "balance (ferts/flora/fauna/lights/photoperiod/etc)" for YOUR tank. The "balance" can change as fauna increases/decreases/feeding amounts change, flora grows/gets trimmed/changed, etc... but once you have your tank balanced out don't monkey around with it just because. I have found that the more I screw around with a tank the more unhappy I am with the results.

Reactions: Sploke

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You're right caliv., I should not have freaked out over long photo-period, that's just my experience that says 14 hours is too long.

The only tank I dose excel has stunted (ie: barely alive) vals (natans?): none I care if they live or not. In 2 other val tanks I don't dose excel since I like the vals (2 different species in those ; maybe spiralis & asiana; whatever).

I agree, micromanaging & over thinking can often lead to disappointment...& a ton of work, lol.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Ok, thanks, I guess I'll just keep things like they are.
Thanks,
Brian

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Hey everybody, sorry to dig this back up again, but I just realized, I don't have vals; I have sag. From what I have heard, sag would do fine with ferts? I just wanted to confirm because the plants seem a little lackluster and generally slow growing. Since I don't have vals, I was wondering if I would be fine using a little normal Flourish to help things along. I know you guys were saying that it probably wasn't necessary, but I'm shooting to get that nice dense look and I though ferts might help that a little.

Thanks,
Brian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store