Water Changes, Stocking for my 10g???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I have a 10 gallon freshwater lightly planted tank, featuring:

flora-
a bit of naja grass
1 anubias
2 val
and an experimental pothos/philodendron
fauna-
4 zebra danios
3 harlequin rasboras
2 oto cats
and a partridge in a pear tree...
(plus one small volunteer snail)

Filtration is a Tetra Whisper 10i and 3i. Water changes are a few gallons, call it 3ish, every week including gravel vac, plus top offs as needed. It's also worth mentioning that the vac pulls up quite a bit of detritus.

I have tested the water, but I lack the eye necessary to determine much more than "Yeah, seems nitrate-y."

I suspect this is a bit heavy in terms of stock, and I'm looking for a second opinion and recommendations. Should I try to do water changes like that once a week and maybe pull and replace a gallon without vac halfway between "big changes"? I also have another 3i that I could probably cram in there, but that seems sort of tacky and would definitely require me to rework the power strip stuff. Or maybe you guys have a better idea (which seems likely to me).

Thanks so much for your help, this place is great,
Brian

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Zebra danios are a bit too active in a 10g IME...I'd go with a few more rasboras & maybe some (6?) dwarf corydoras & call it stocked. The 10g footprint is pretty small, best not too go too overboard...although I know you like to...you might go with a couple more otos but keep up the maintenance.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
If you can barely detect nitrates you are fine (provided ammonia and nitrites are a 0). I would also get rid of the zebra danios and go for more rasboras/otto's if you like those alot.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Adding another filter won't remove nitrates. If it were me (and I have kept overstocked planted 10 gallons, might even have one now ;) ) add more plants. Floaters suck up nitrates well, but also block light for the other plants and many don't like the surface movement of the HOB filters. Fast growing stem plants like rotalla and ludwegia are good at reducing nitrates. Even if the plants eat up all the nitrates keep doing the water changes since you need to remove other bad things, as well as replace trace elements.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I know the zebras are a little tight in there, but they don't seem too upset and I don't really have an option for that. This is my only tank, although there is a very slim chance I might be able to trick my dad into getting a tank for the house and then re-home the zebras, and maybe replace them with another pair of rasboras and otos.
As for the nitrates, I can tell they are definitely there in quantity, but it is very difficult to tell the specific level.
Regarding plants, I might consider some rotalla. Is it fine with no special light? I just have a regular 60W equivalent CFL in a lamp pointed at the tank, which I have considered upgrading. Also, does it need ferts? I have lightly considered adding ferts and even liquid CO2 stuff (which I have just heard of) to my schedule anyway, but I would prefer if it wasn't essential. Regarding that, any brand preferences?
Also, while I'm thinking about plants, how do I create new anubias and val plantlets? Should I just separate off a bit containing leaf, rhizome, and root then replant it? Or is there something else I would do?
Sorry all this is going on and on, but I will undoubtedly be asking questions for some time.

Thanks,
Brian

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I hope your tank is well covered, danios can & will jump; rasboras less so, but they can & might.

With such low light I'd go with anubias, java fern, & if they grow well enough in your low light, vals. Vals shoot out runners of smaller plants, you can cut or pinch (w/fingernails or scissors) any new plantlets off the runner. Anubias can be cut at the rhizome with a knife or scissors as long as there are 3 or 4 leaves & some (several) roots on each piece. Be careful not to plant the rhizome (the place where roots & leaves attach to a sort of sideways stem). They can be attached to wood or rocks too.

You probably don't need ferts or Excel ("liquid co2 replacement")

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Unfortunately, my tank is not covered. My only lid I have is solid black, with no working lights and I can't find replacements. However, there is generally a bit of air space between the water and the top of the tank; in addition, I have never seen any jumping at all. (Should I be concerned about that?)
Also, if I do decide to get some CO2 fert, it wouldn't hurt anything, assuming I use it properly, right?
Thanks,
Brian

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the info. Pardon my curiosity, but what about it will be a problem? Just overdose of CO2? And would regular ferts hurt anything? Sorry, I want to know everything.
Thanks,
Brian

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Excel kills some plants like valisneria & anacharis. It's not a fertilizer as such, it's used as an algaecide & plants can use it as a sort of co2 substitute. Be careful not to OD your tank, it's also a medical disinfectant in slightly higher concentration than Excel is sold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store