UV Sterilizer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The 6-in-1 strips have their uses. I use them myself to get an idea of GH, KH, and pH - the latter when my API kit gives me wonky results. I do like the API kit better because it is more accurate. You can take a water sample to your LFS or box pet store and have it tested. Also, you can use Prime to detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate while your tank is cycling. I've done this too.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I wish I had a LFS lol the only thing within at least an hour from me that sells anything fish related is our walmart. So I am kinda on my own when it comes to taking care of my fish.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Update....the water has cleared a ton but still is a little cloudy but still way better than it was!! And this is now my Cichlid tank! I bought a few more angels, an oscar, and some African cichlids....(I know these fish will out grow this tank but when the time comes I will upgrade to a bigger size they are currently in a 55 gal) I have moved my Mollies, guppies, and black skirt tetras to a 29 gal and now I think things are in harmony and moving smoothly for now. Finally think the water issue is working it's self out!!

Screenshot_20160525-234046.png

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I moved some things around and took a couple things out to put in the 29 gal lol I thought it was a little crowded in the 55gal anyway with all the decorations that were previously in it.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I do like all the bright colors and fun decorations. I'm doing wood and plants in my tanks because I've had algae issues in the past, which hasn't been kind to artificial plants/decorations. Plus I'm trying to keep bristlenose plecos, and they require wood. I made a couple exceptions in my 180g because I bought the 2 piece sunken battleship for my 29g, but it ended up being too big.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Although it certainly causes no harm, bristlenose plecos are not wood eaters by nature and do not need wood in their habitat. I have raised generations of BN in tanks without wood.

A good diet of algae wafers, sliced vegetables like cucumber, zucchini, squash, and sweet potatoes is all you need. I also highly recommend the Repashy Gel foods.

Andy

Reactions: wesleydnunder

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Here is a better pic of them all. A few people on another post said angels and Oscar's should never be kept together or should they be kept with African Cichlids either.....but so far everything is going great. They have been together about a week and a half now and anytime the Oscar sees me step closer to the tank he swims from one end of it to the other (only does this when I'm nearby) so I enjoy watching him. There have not been any signs of aggression AT ALL (even with the africans) but I believe the reason why is because they each seem to have their own claimed territory.

20160527_164244.jpg

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Although it certainly causes no harm, bristlenose plecos are not wood eaters by nature and do not need wood in their habitat. I have raised generations of BN in tanks without wood.

A good diet of algae wafers, sliced vegetables like cucumber, zucchini, squash, and sweet potatoes is all you need. I also highly recommend the Repashy Gel foods.

Andy
My bristlenoses LOVED Repashy. Just used the driftwood to hide and spawn.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store