UV Sterilizer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Would it be a good idea to add this filter that has a built in UV Sterilizer. I already have a normal HOB filter but the water has constantly been cloudy since I set it up.....the tank it's self is roughly a little over a month old so I do not believe the cycle has completely setup so I believe this has a lot to do with the cloudy water.... I guess my question would be that if I use this filter would it interrupt the cycle or hurt the fish in any way? Thanks!

Screenshot_20160515-233024.png

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Oh and I forgot to add that I do a "roughly" 30% water change every two days with the exception of last night i done about a 50% water change but this has not helped with the cloudiness at all.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
This is how the water looks on a pretty much daily basis so that's why I'm really wanting this filter to hopefully clear it up but I only want to do that if it won't hurt anything since it is a fairly new tank.

20160516_001254.jpg

20160516_001149.jpg

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I had this happen once, and I was actually something on the glass inside the tank. In fact, my new 180g is starting to get this.

Do you have a test kit? If not, I'd recommend getting one, and will recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It's a little pricy, but worth every cent! Once you know what your water parameters are, we can better assist you.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Your tank is still new and cycling. The cloudiness is normal and will go away on its own in time. You just need to be patient.

That UV is so low wattage that it's practically useless and not a good investment.

I would recommend reducing your water changes to 50% weekly. Instead of every other day. Give the tank time to stabilize and cycle.

I also notice you have some silver dollars in there. The tank looks to be about a 20 gallon (although I can't see the right side of the tank so it may be longer than what I see in the picture) which is much too small for silver dollars. Silver dollars are also herbivorous fish and will also eat plastic plants (mistaking them for real plants) It won't be long until your decor is nothing but shredded up pieces of plastic. You may want to consider rehoming them in exchange for something better suited to that size tank.

Reactions: wesleydnunder

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for the replies. Those are silver dollars and the tank is a 55 gallon. So far they have not nibbled on any of the decor but they are still really young. Thanks for the input and if it does become a problem then I figure something out. The reason I am wanting this filter is because of all the other really good reviews on amazon from other people that use the exact one with their 55 gal but they never mentioned if they used it on a newer tank so that's why I came here to see if it would do anything negative to the tank.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Oh yea it's cleared up a lot (still a little cloudy but nowhere near as bad as it was) I was wanting it hoping it'd help maintain a crystal clear view. I know I'd still need to do water changes etc but thought this may be able to help some.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
And to Rufioman, I have tested the water with the 6-in-1 test stripes. On payday I am buying an API master test kit because it will test for ammonia and from what I hear it is more accurate. So yes I've tested it but not with a very accurate test and no test for ammonia and so that is why I do so many water changes in a week so that way I know the levels will lower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store