The "Dream Tank" is becoming a reality!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
"But out of curiosity, has anyone ever used ironwood in a tank?"

Nope. Manzanita, ribbonwood, shaved and boiled dead pine stumps, but no ironwood.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I put all my mopani in the tank last night, and came to the conclusion I need to shop around for some huge pieces! All the stuff I have is really nice, but so small in that tank (perfect for 20g and 29g). I'm focusing on using java ferns, anubias, and moss because they are more fish resistant. The hornwort was suggested by my LFS, and they had some in stock last week. They also sell Malaysian wood, large pieces, which is why I'm considering it.

The temp has come up a bit, but still below 70! Plus I still need to wait because of the PVC glue used to set up the sump. Probably doing to swap out a ton of water before putting any fish in it. But the lights have been a bit of fun with all the different modes. Set them on one of the night modes last night, and the sump pretty much sounded like the surf crashing on tide pools.

The question about ironwood is that it's a very dense, heavy wood, and I have a piece from my grandparents' yard that has a LOT of character. However, it's been outside, and my grandpa was a bit fanatic about spraying pesticides.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Found these at my LFS yesterday. Sorry for the informal picture location.... I stashed them in my laundry room to keep my cats from trying to use them as scratching posts.

image.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Those drift wood looks nice, and will look nice in your tank. :)

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks! I'm heading out to get a tote to soak them in. Been rounding up plants and moss the past couple days. My 29g looks a little sparse now because I raided the wisteria. The hornwort isn't looking so great in my tank, so am hoping it fills in, but from what I read, it doesn't grow roots and anchor itself. So also need to find some rocks I can use as weights.

Some of the sump plumbing was assembled using PVC glue. Is that going to be a problem for fish? It's been over 24 hours since it was set up.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
So the one piece of wood is too big for the tote my sis loaned me, and I'm considering just soaking it in the tank. But that brings about a ton of questions. It's Malaysian wood, is pretty dry, and I'm sure it's going to float. I'm considering attaching the plants and just letting it "cure" in the tank. The other piece is pretty heavy, so it may sink. I can tie some of the plants with fluorocarbon, but am considering the superglue method.

How do you use superglue on plants? Does everything have to be completely dry, or does it work if things are damp? Is it safe to put in a tank with fish? If not, how long do I have to wait? Does it work on smooth rocks too? I have Loctite Ultragel Control superglue, is this kind ok?

Another question is, are decorative beach pebbles safe to use in an aquarium? (The kind you can buy at Home Depot.) I really wanted some interesting pieces of dark lava rock, but can only find the really sharp jagged kind, so opted for the beach pebbles instead.

I have a nice culture of java moss, but it's not attached to anything, and I don't want it floating around in the tank. I wanted to attach it to something, so am wondering about the superglue thing. I have other mosses I can tie, but it would be nice to be able to secure them to some of the rocks.

Zardra77

AC Members
Apr 30, 2009
MA
I don't really have an answer to your questions but I did see some YouTube video of someone gluing moss to wood. I think it was ADU aquascaping maybe check out some of his videos.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I googled some of my questions the other night. Found a YouTube video, which then gave me a link to another one, some gal with a pink Mohawk named Rachel O'Leary. I was "Hey! I recognize that name!!!" So figured if SHE uses the technique, it's gotta be safe/effective. Haven't done anything since Monday's shopping spree because I really hurt my back tossing around bags of dog food at work and then lugging around bags of beach pebbles/river pebbles. (Note to self: you are NOT 25 and indestructible anymore.) I actually got home from work yesterday and promptly crashed.

I'm soaking some of the pebbles/rocks, and am thinking do using some of them to hold down the hornwort. I was going to try to arrange it around the back wall of the tank, but might stick it really close to some of the driftwood. (Probably going to get another big piece of it.) I'm planning on using my mopani to cluster around the bigger piece of driftwood, but might pull a couple pieces for another 29g down the road. Some of the rocks are interesting, and I might use them as accents. Not really what I wanted, but who'd guess that aquatics stores don't have many decorative rocks? (My LFS has some "Japanese dragon scale" stuff, at $4.99/lb, and it's all HUGE!) I'm planning on gluing some moss and plants to the pebbles/rocks, but right now I haven't really come up with a solid design. (Need to put the driftwood in the tank.)

I did put some of the wisteria and hornwort where I was thinking of putting it, but I also put in the wisteria so it'd start growing. Nothing is finalized at this point, but the pics are just what I've been working on at the moment. Please excuse the planting tool. With a width of 24.5" and a depth of 25.5", I can't reach the back or bottom of the tank without getting myself soaked!

image.jpg image.jpg

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I picked up a third piece of Malaysia driftwood similar to the smaller piece I bought last week. The taller piece is very light, and too big for the tote, and as I suspected, floats. I currently have it soaking in my bathtub, weighted down by the other two pieces. Not sure how long it will take to waterlog, but it doesn't seem to discolor the water as bad as my mopani did.

But I do have a question - which is better? Mopani or Malayasian driftwood? The mopani seems harder to me. While the Malaysian driftwood seems a lot softer - almost like redwood. I'm planning on stocking bristlenose plecos, so am also asking which wood is best for them.

I've also been looking at neon rosy barbs because of their bright coloration. My store has them listed as getting to be 2" while my LFS has them getting to be 4-5". Does anyone have any info on size based on keeping them? I already have a 6" Senegal bichir, and I'm pretty sure it will make meals out of fish 2" and smaller.

Scaping the tank sorta got put on hold because I messed up my back and then discovered the one piece of wood floats. I tested with dip strips the other day to see if there was a chlorine reading, and the strip came up zero. I didn't treat the water because I wasn't going to stock it until I'd put in the wood, so obviously didn't add SafeStart Plus yet. But I'm also interested in getting this beast started cycling, so am considering adding 10-12 rosy reds - which I won't mind keeping long term. Is this a viable plan?

Again, thanks for the tips, advice, comments, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store