The "Dream Tank" is becoming a reality!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
image.jpg

Just delivered, minus the sump, which was cracked and will be delivered Thurs. 180g, 72.5" long, 24.5" wide, 25.5" deep. Going to use LEDs for lighting, am planning low light plants, and will have to work stocking around a Senegal bichir and a very large tinfoil barb.

Plants I'm using will include java ferns, anubias, Christmas moss, and java moss - which will be tied to the mopani. Considering wisteria and/or hornwort and El Niño ferns. Very open to suggestions!

Substrate is black sand, CaribSea Tahitian Moon.

Decorations will be mopani wood (I have it already and have been soaking it), a Petsmart plastic/resin 2 piece wrecked battleship, and rocks (when I can locate some i really like). I might have to include some artificial plants.

I'm still deciding on stocking plans, but will be moving my bichir, tinfoil barb, and 3 Denison's barbs. Planning on getting at least 3 more Denison's and 4 tinfoils. (Mine is a lone survivor non-albino gold strain, and I would like more, but cannot find them anywhere.) I would like to add a couple BNs and possibly a couple catfish - pictus or bumblebee, as I have kept these in the past and am somewhat familiar with them.

Am posting because this is my first large tank, and I have a ton of questions. I want to avoid overstocking, so am open to suggestions. The tinfoil barb and bichir are the main concerns as I already have them and rehoming them is not an option. Plants are a question because my tinfoil occasionally decides to destroy live plants, including java fern, but the bichir prefers plants.

My plant and stocking plans are also based on what I have found locally available. I am not opposed to ordering online from reputable sources, it's just that my work schedule is highly unpredictable and I don't want live animals sitting out in the heat/sun waiting for me to get home.

Advice and suggestions are welcome!!!
Thanks!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Super happy for you!

View attachment 217287
am planning low light plants, and will have to work stocking around a Senegal bichir and a very large tinfoil barb.

Plants I'm using will include java ferns, anubias, Christmas moss, and java moss - which will be tied to the mopani. Considering wisteria and/or hornwort and El Niño ferns. Very open to suggestions!
First, 180g is a beast of a tank. You would be worried about your tinfol turning and having room to swim eventually, because they get huge, but this tank is very appropriately sized for your needs. While they get very large, they aren't particularly nasty. More like lost puppies. Why not flesh out the schools of roselines and tinfoils you already have (should you find them)? You can do a good school of roselines and keep your tinfoils at around 5 in a tank that size. I would worry about smaller fish, because your senegal is going to hunt everything when he gets big enough. Personal experience via family member, and yes, it's unfortunate how they turn into small fish swallowers. You could do a pictus in there, or other large catfish. Your bichir might eat a bumblebee catfish (the small one, right?) if it gets large enough. I have a bumblebee that's 3 years old and he's still only what, 3"? Maybe go with a larger catfish. I would also get a decent gph turnover on a tank this size (filtration), and do big water changes once a week when it's established. You want bigger water changes on larger tanks, and your stock won't have fish which require smaller, consistent changes. My largest tank is a 90-100g (custom, dimensions say 90/100 on various charts), and I do 50% changes once a week for my two big clown loaches. They're about the size of my hand and my favorite pets, and these water changes keep my liquid tested levels quite consistent to ensure they stay healthy. Also, I'm paranoid, so I do water changes and test like a freak, so take everything I say with $0.02 of my own, haha.

My first post in quite some time, so a bit of a ramble. Good to be back! :cool:

EDIT: your barb is gonna eat plants, man. Once they get a good taste for them they will go back and munch when possible. I would try and feed them veggies like cucumber and such, blanched, cooled, then served to them at room temperature with something to pin them down. You'd be surprised at how they like them, though it may take a while to persuade them. What are you feeding them? Lots of proteins?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
My first post in quite some time, so a bit of a ramble. Good to be back!
Good to have you back!!!

I have been looking for gold tinfoil barbs, but can only find the silver ones. The reason I went with a tank this huge was tinfoil barbs. I can easily get more tinfoils and roselines at work and at my LFS, tho they will be somewhat small. I know the bichir is going to get big, and it's the one I'm more worried about when it comes to stocking. I really want to add a couple of bristlenose plecos (maybe 3 or 4), but am worried the bichir may eat them. (I have a pair of BNs in my 29g, and they are rather entertaining.)

The bumblebee cat I had was mislabeled, and got to be around 7", but it hid all the time. Pictus are very active, and my only real question with them is should I keep only one, or should I get a group?

My tinfoil tends to leave java ferns alone now, but chews up softer plants. It and the bichir pretty much eat everything - shrimp pellets, frozen food, catfish pellets, algae wafers, etc. Veggies for the tinfoil aren't an issue. I myself love arugula/wild rocket, so am wondering if it's ok to give it to my fish too. (My black lab loves the stuff too, as does one of my cats.)

The tank was built with a sump, and I asked a bunch of questions about it based on my plans. LFS said it would work, but I can put in circulation pumps to simulate a river current. The sump was cracked, so the replacement will be delivered later today, and then I'll start filling and decorating it. I already have the mopani, and it's been soaking over a year in a 5g bucket. I was thinking of cycling the tank with rosy reds, and then "growing up" the smaller fish before moving my other fish. I would really like to avoid putting my tinfoil through another cycling process.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I will take some WIP photos and post progress as it starts coming together.

Reactions: Zardra77

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Was waiting for someone else to say no to TinFoils. I love the fish, but from my experience--It did not make a difference what plant it was, or if I add Zucchini, Romaine Lettuce, extra Veggy Tabs, ect. They still eventually mowed all the plants to nubs.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Was waiting for someone else to say no to TinFoils. I love the fish, but from my experience--It did not make a difference what plant it was, or if I add Zucchini, Romaine Lettuce, extra Veggy Tabs, ect. They still eventually mowed all the plants to nubs.
I already have a tinfoil, which is why they're included in stocking plans, otherwise I'd have gone a different route. Mine has already broken 2 heaters, 3 thermometers, and has eaten or destroyed every plant I've put in his current tank.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Just got the sump delivered, installed, and the tank filled. Currently playing with decor and the smallish plants I pulled out of my overgrown Fluval Spec.

Tomorrow I will be getting more plants, and maybe a bigger piece of mopani. LOL! All the stuff i have is perfect for smaller tanks! But out of curiosity, has anyone ever used ironwood in a tank?

image.jpg

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Wow, that thing is IMPRESSIVE! The barb sounds like it is going to do the plants, unfortunately :( have you thought about running anubias or some other low light plants on top tied down? Or maybe in your sump to get the same filtration effect? You could do an awesome hardscape instead of a planted one! Or make a 3d background and hardscape it....choices! Super sucky he eats your plants :( my hifin pleco is about a foot long and ate every soft plant I had in my 100g a few years back. Now I only use anubias broad leaf and tie it to driftwood, haha. Looking great so far, man!

cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store