Summer Ponds and Tubs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
All hail aquarium society monthly auctions. And finding better LFSs
Good suggestions but I've tried that already and the short story is it didn't work out. :) I may try my aquarium societies again but they are so far away and in my least favorite part of the state, blah.

LOL Jen you crack me up girl.. As for the barbs and others i have just moved into another direction, pretty much tired of African cichlids, South Americans, Central Americans and Australians.. Yeah not too fond of the Rummy's but i am adding a small group of BloodFin Tetras tomorrow.. In the RoseLine and Boesemani pond i have a ton of fry already just don't know what species it is yet..
Well with as many fish/cichlids you have I can see where you would grow bored with them. I mean you must have owned every practical cichlid in the aquarium trade by now, no? :) Seriously though I get what you are saying. I have owned far fewer cichlids and for a much shorter time than you and one day I was like "I don't want to see my fish attacking each other today" lol. Of course now I sorely regret selling them all :( BUT I only have 1 4ft tank space available in my house so the setup must rotate. Although I am trying to figure out what to do with my 3ft 56g RR oceanic tank that my syno cats are going into. I love them but can't figure out what I want to put with them.

I love blood fins! I thought they were so blah in pictures but once I saw them in person I fell in love. I was about to buy them when the rummy noses fell into my lap (yrs ago), maybe I won't replenish my rummies and go with blood fins instead....Why do you get me thinking like this Mike!? I have already started talking to the other members of the house about a summer pond and of course I already have it planned out, even sent out inquires about buying some stuff but I didn't tell them that! Honestly THIS is why I disappear from the forum, it gives me ideas and gets me too excited! lol

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Which societies did you try? NJAS, Jersey Shore, Bucks County and Lancaster County ones (last 2 are in PA) have always been really nice...but even if you don't want to join, you can always bring your fish to one of the big auctions.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you like the look of blood fins, but want to try a little more color, you can look at green fire tetras. When healthy and stress free, they sport some pretty good color.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Which societies did you try? NJAS, Jersey Shore, Bucks County and Lancaster County ones (last 2 are in PA) have always been really nice...but even if you don't want to join, you can always bring your fish to one of the big auctions.
I was a member of one of the NJ ones (don't want to name names, not trying to put anyone down). I only went to 2 auctions and 1 swap meet but I didn't feel very welcomed, even when I tried to engage others they were short with me, one guy even straight out turned his back on me when I was trying to inquire about buying something of his! It had an elitist feel to it. I wanted to try the other one out but that experience left a bad taste in my mouth. That was years ago now so I am going to give the other one a try now with an open mind. I live on the shore so PA is too far for a monthly club, for me anyways.

I forgot I could bring my fish to auction without being a member though, thanks! I kinda wiped out all society thoughts I guess. :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If you like the look of blood fins, but want to try a little more color, you can look at green fire tetras. When healthy and stress free, they sport some pretty good color.
I never see these guys locally and I think they'd be another beautiful in person fish. Long fin or meteor white clouds are another one that really shine in person but not so much in photos.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I never see these guys locally and I think they'd be another beautiful in person fish. Long fin or meteor white clouds are another one that really shine in person but not so much in photos.
One PetSmart carried those here, about a decade ago, and my LFS has gotten them in twice in the past 2 years.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Well you should move to the south we welcome any new member as a friend family type, LOL sorry for all the ideals but at least you have a good time when your here right.. Got the BloodFins and Galaxy Rasboras in the pond today, Yay me..

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yeah, too much fun, that's the problem!

We go down to SC twice a yr and I absolutely love it down there! The people really are so friendly and I love the palmetto trees. :) I have considered moving there but I doubt it will happen, although the longer pond season makes it tempting. lol

Yay, you! Yay on those babies already too!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
OK, I am officially excited about local aquarium clubs again. Just looked at the schedule and Mrs. Rachael O'Leary will be speaking at 3 different locations in NJ over the next few months, woohoo! Both of the NJ clubs and I forgot all about ******************* and they are having a joint konvention with Monster Fish Keepers in NJ!!! :thud::headbang2: I need to get some tanks together and some filter media seeded!!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hi Jen. I know we have never talked before but I was curious as to what kind of Peacock that is for your avatar? Oh and I had did what you did. I left here cause I was ending up with to much fish. I came back with only owning a RTM and some I think like 2 pleco's and now my fish stock is up there again. I do blame Mike for it the most. LOL but its all good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store