LED lighting VS Flourescent

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
I'm not sure of that stuff allowing more light...

I'm familiar with that stuff. Sharp edges, saggy and ugly, but then again. So am I, I suppose.
I havent ever worked with it, but if it is for a green house roof I would hope it does not sag. It comes in "clear" so fingers crossed that equates to allowing more/plenty of light. I wonder if it has sharp edges and such, if that could be softened with something. I haven't looked up the DIY on it as of yet. I was hoping it faired better than all I have looked up on acrylic since acrylic warps. I suppose final option would be to make my own glass top...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Because of the shape, I would expect light to be warped and not necessarily all be directed downwards... Again a problem if you are looking to grow plants, not necessarily as much if just to show light.

Also note that the greenhouse polycarbonate is over half an inch tall, if you don't sort out the edges, you may still have problems with fish jumping,

If you say what you aim to achieve, you might be able to get better assistance.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Because of the shape, I would expect light to be warped and not necessarily all be directed downwards... Again a problem if you are looking to grow plants, not necessarily as much if just to show light.

Also note that the greenhouse polycarbonate is over half an inch tall, if you don't sort out the edges, you may still have problems with fish jumping,

If you say what you aim to achieve, you might be able to get better assistance.
Im pretty much trying to figure out exactly what i want. Affordable, effective, hood and lighting. Originally i wanted to go with out a hood, have hanging english ivy and spider plants drape over the top, but I am thinking that might not work out. I also want the filter to hang off of the side instead of the back. So I will definitely have to custom make something. I've debated getting a 24 inch glass top for half of the aquarium and using acrylic for the other half (48", 55 gallon aquarium). Usually I would just go out and buy some hood with lights built in it, but I am going for something different this time.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depending on the size of your filter, you should be able to use 2 normal glass tops, and cut an inch or 2 off the center, large piece of glass and put the filter there.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Im pretty much trying to figure out exactly what i want. Affordable, effective, hood and lighting. Originally i wanted to go with out a hood, have hanging english ivy and spider plants drape over the top, but I am thinking that might not work out. I also want the filter to hang off of the side instead of the back. So I will definitely have to custom make something. I've debated getting a 24 inch glass top for half of the aquarium and using acrylic for the other half (48", 55 gallon aquarium). Usually I would just go out and buy some hood with lights built in it, but I am going for something different this time.

I have also considered using terrarium covers instead of glass because I read that the air flow of uncovered tanks helps to keep the PH higher and we are wanting to do at least one of the tanks with African Cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store