LED lighting VS Flourescent

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Then I would go with the corrugated polycarbonate. Easy peasy and they sell matching strips to fill in the gaps on the edges to keep evaporation down. Home Depot sells the polycarbonate in sheets I believe 26 inches by 6 feet. Look up the King of DIY, (UARU JOEY) for a lot of helpful info on the covers and MANY other things for aquarists.

Reactions: Aerial

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Then I would go with the corrugated polycarbonate. Easy peasy and they sell matching strips to fill in the gaps on the edges to keep evaporation down. Home Depot sells the polycarbonate in sheets I believe 26 inches by 6 feet. Look up the King of DIY, (UARU JOEY) for a lot of helpful info on the covers and MANY other things for aquarists.

I will do that, thanks!

Reactions: Finster

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Any tops are a pain in the arse IMO, but needed for larger tanks and most fish. For the two tops you need for a 55g (for proper fitment), Aqueon Versa tops or Marineland tops are the way to go. You're talking about $30-40.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
When choosing or making lids for an aquarium, think about what your plans are with the aquarium too.

If you have a planted aquarium, you likely want as much of the light as possible to get into the water, so choosing material can have a startling affect.. Glass is normally the best option (after open topped)

The corrugated polycarbonate is an awesome, cost effective option otherwise though

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Some folks in a fish club in my area have been using cut to fit corrugated poly carb panels. It's stuff intended for greenhouses. Like said, it's not cheap and the 2 edges have exposed "tubes". Potential moisture and algae farm.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
When choosing or making lids for an aquarium, think about what your plans are with the aquarium too.

If you have a planted aquarium, you likely want as much of the light as possible to get into the water, so choosing material can have a startling affect.. Glass is normally the best option (after open topped)

The corrugated polycarbonate is an awesome, cost effective option otherwise though

I think because of the way I want to run the filter off the side instead of the back, for optimal viewing, I will have to custom make something. I will definitely look into the corrugated polycarbonate.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Some folks in a fish club in my area have been using cut to fit corrugated poly carb panels. It's stuff intended for greenhouses. Like said, it's not cheap and the 2 edges have exposed "tubes". Potential moisture and algae farm.

Well, if it is too expensive I will go for Acrylic. Something else I was curious about, the terrarium covers, they are supposed to be for lizards, snakes and etc. How would that hold up over an aquarium? I know there would be evaporation, but i would think it should not rust and it should keep any fish from jumping out.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not sure of that stuff allowing more light...

I'm familiar with that stuff. Sharp edges, saggy and ugly, but then again. So am I, I suppose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store