LED lighting VS Flourescent

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The big thing with florescents is that they are pretty common, and pretty cheap (from a entry level)

The good things about LEDs, especially modern ones, is that they are directional, so you don't need to use a reflector in your fixture, you can also get different optics, to help with coverage of your tank, which may interest you. You can also get ones with variable colors, so you can change the red, blue and green values, not specifically for CRI, but it can/will make things more pleasing to your eye.

When looking at LEDs, Watts are not an indication of the amount of light, they are an indication of the amount of power used, so you really need o do your homework to see what will successfully grow the type of plants that you want in the aquarium you are using.

There's also the initial cost vs. replacement bulbs debate. the general estimate is that LEDs will last for ~10 years or more, but that doesn't take out of effect the potential of failure due to the fixture or whatever.

It's all down to personal preference, personally I currently have mostly planted tanks, half have LED lighting, and half T5HO (or PC for that matter); If I was going to get new, I'd go LED every time.

Reactions: Aerial

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Another option if you've got good ambient light is you can grow pothos plants in/out of your tanks. I've got that going on in my 75 and another 55g.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
The big thing with florescents is that they are pretty common, and pretty cheap (from a entry level)

The good things about LEDs, especially modern ones, is that they are directional, so you don't need to use a reflector in your fixture, you can also get different optics, to help with coverage of your tank, which may interest you. You can also get ones with variable colors, so you can change the red, blue and green values, not specifically for CRI, but it can/will make things more pleasing to your eye.

When looking at LEDs, Watts are not an indication of the amount of light, they are an indication of the amount of power used, so you really need o do your homework to see what will successfully grow the type of plants that you want in the aquarium you are using.

There's also the initial cost vs. replacement bulbs debate. the general estimate is that LEDs will last for ~10 years or more, but that doesn't take out of effect the potential of failure due to the fixture or whatever.

It's all down to personal preference, personally I currently have mostly planted tanks, half have LED lighting, and half T5HO (or PC for that matter); If I was going to get new, I'd go LED every time.
I really like the look of LEDs, I think they're sleek and if they are good for plants I am all about it. I dont mind the up front cost in comparsison to having to replace bulbs. That is a major convenience bonus for me. I have got 3 small and rambunctious kids that make going to the store a nightmare for myself and other people. Hahah, and ordering bulbs online, I've gotten a lot of busted ones off of Amazon for my Crabitat so I switched to LED there, but there aren't any plants in that tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you on the kid thing Ariel. Pretty sure store owners are happy when I get the 4 of mine out of the store. Nearly all of my aquarium hardware is mail-order.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
I hear you on the kid thing Ariel. Pretty sure store owners are happy when I get the 4 of mine out of the store. Nearly all of my aquarium hardware is mail-order.
I do buy tons of not so fragile items through amazon prime, gotta love free 2 day shipping!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
This tank is a 30g, and lit by an original 36" 6300k dutch LED light turned down to maybe 40%

it's been running for a couple of weeks, has had fish in for a day and a half; but there's not much plant growth as they are all tissue cultured plants... but they are healthy

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
These are my, not so set up, set ups, two 55 gallons and one 37 gallon that I intend to use as a quarantine til the 55 gallons are stocked. 14694704561662046389952.jpg 14694704915111470186280.jpg 1469470532820-1467304740.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Look into the finnex planted+ 24/7

I wouldn't say high light in a 55, especially not in a 37, but it will grow low-medium level plants, and is dimmable. The in-built timer isn't worth too much tho.

Reactions: Aerial

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Look into the finnex planted+ 24/7

I wouldn't say high light in a 55, especially not in a 37, but it will grow low-medium level plants, and is dimmable. The in-built timer isn't worth too much tho.
Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store