Is it a "BUILD" if there is no actual building involved?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Cost was a little painful, I'm afraid. If I did it again I might do it differently, have to wait and see how this wears...

Stock tank-- 330.00
Speedliner -- 500.00 Gasp!!! I think if I did it again I'd try the rattle can or brush version instead of having it applied, but the husband talked me in to having it done professionally--probably didn't want to listen to me cry when I messed it up :)

Pump, filter, fountain, a zillion fittings and electrical stuff (had to run power and a GFI out from the house, which was a pain!) -- roughly 400.00

Plants-- roughly 100.00, but I keep dragging things home from the pond store, so that will probably change.

Probably another few bucks in rocks, plant pots, Prime, that kind of stuff. And I still have fishies to buy...I gave myself a 1500.00 budget, and I am down to pennies and lint, but my birthday is coming....(hope, hope) ;)

Filled to the top, it is 8' round, 2' deep and holds roughly 700 gallons. I figure with displacement from rock and plants, and leaving it down 3-4", it holds around 600 gallons. I haven't figured the new gallonage, so that is a barely-educated guess!

So, that'd be...1330.00 + 100.00 misc = 1430.00
Ouch! To quote Schultz from 'Hogan's Heroes' "I see nothing! Nothing!!"

Jen

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Jen,

I meant to ask - what do you plan to do for the winter time with the pond? Since it is completely above ground, I am assuming it will freeze solid unless you heat it somehow?

Just curious.

As I get to thinking about how I could make something like this work for my yard, it makes me wonder what I would do for winter. It does not get *as* cold here in Georgia, but we do still get sub-freezing temps in Jan - March, so I would be worried about freezing.

Also - would a frozen pond of water harm the bedliner that is sprayed on?

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Not sure how the liner will react to the cold. I am told it will have no problems, that it is essentially the same as a rubber liner, just attached to the tub instead of resting in it. Have to wait and see. We do get cold here in the winter, and have had three or four days of teen temps the last winter or so, but not enough to freeze it solid, I think. Even the dog's little dish rarely freezes solid, and it is about a gallon. I will run the pump year round, not sure about the fountain as it is set up now. I am going see how the pot does in the cold (fingers crossed), but my backup plan is to remove the pot for the winter, and just run the bubbler at water level while there are freezing temps. Keeping the water moving will keep at least some of the surface from freezing, which will allow gases to escape from under the ice, and keep the fishies in oxygen.

Never had an above ground pond before, so this is all guesswork and experimentation. I could wrap the outside of the tub in waterheater insulation...THAT'D be attractive, wouldn't it? But I'll do it if it looks like I'll need to. Or look in to a trough deicer like they use on farms for the horses. I have a spare outlet in the GFI setup in case I need it...

Check back in March '10 and see if I am blubbering in my beer about my fishy-sicles, or doing the happy dance 'cause they all made it :)

You know, if freezing solid was a problem for you, if your tub was set in wall block or covered in ivy, or whatever, that might be enough insulation to keep the cold from the sides. With my plants at least, just keeping something between them and the night sky will often be enough to keep them from freezing. Not near as much water in a plant, but it's a thought. The pond is pretty protected from open air by some large old firs, which might help, too.

How's that for a whole lotta "I really don't know" ?

Hope it helps a little anyway ;)
Jen

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
LOL

I've only been in Georgia for just shy of a year, so I am not overly familiar with weather patterns here. I know this winter, we had below-freezing temps (teens-20s) at night for about 2-3 months (though probably not *every* night), but never (or rarely??) during the day - usually warmed up to 30's-40's by noontime. So I wonder if it would be enough that it got above freezing during the day to prevent a pond like that from freezing solid?

Hmmm... more things to ponder.

Granted, this is all a pipe dream right now. No real solid plans for building (or buying) a pond setup, since for the time being our $$ is going to repairs and updates for the house that we just bought... apparently such mundane things as paint, carpet and appliances take precedence over my fish habit.

Figures. :)

But I will keep checking back on this progress (keep posting pics!!), and I really am curious how the winter will go. I'm hoping by next summer a pond (or heck, maybe just new tanks) will be in the budget. :p

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
I was supposed to get a pond this year, as last year was 'fix the place we just bought' year for us, a genuine in-the-ground big pond, but then we decided the kitchen needed help, which it does, so pond got moved to next year's list. And then hubby dragged home a Firebird..'it's a classic, Honey', which is husbandeese for a rusty old piece of poo that will suck money like a bathtub drain for the next million years. SO, I have my tub...keeps me out of trouble, and feeds my habit :) at least for now...

Who needs paint, carpet and appliances when you can have FISH???? Apparently a lot of us, darn it :)
Jen

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
LOL - well, if we are judging on which costs more to fix/maintain... It would be a toss up. If we're talking about which is prettier - it's the pond, hands down. :)

And I have big plans for a salt-water setup sooner since we finally will have room for it. :) Between that and my dream of a pond... well, I can see myself pouring some serious cash into my habit. Dunno if my honey will be OK with it..... but since I am the one working these days, I guess it's my call. :D

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Hey!! At least my 'tub' isn't rusty...yet!!!! And I pulled the weeds around mine!

Oh My Goodness!!!! Is that the back end of a Camaro I see? (My son says yes, I haven't a clue) There just happens to be one of THOSE in the man house, too, snuggled up to the Firebird, and I KNOW how much money it sucks!! Of all the pics on the planet :>...next the husband will be on here asking if you want to sell it. TELL HIM NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Please! I'll bake you cookies, clean your bathroom, anything!!!

Too Funny!
Jen

Last edited:

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
I think it said '68 firebird. Looks like it to me.
I just put rusty firebird in yahoo (pic) search. : P

Dangit though! cookies n cleanin sounds good! : )

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
The Firebird is 'nice', but the pond is 'sweet'!!!
Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store