Apple Snail has Huge BUBBLE in flesh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
Okay, I tried it. He may already have been dead, but I thought I felt him barely perceptibly pulling back a little when I tapped his operculum. First I tried gently tapping the bubble/sac, with no result. He didn't react at all when I made the tiny pinprick (I used a beading needle). The bubble deflated slowly and he fit back in his shell upright. I guess I was hoping his gill would keep him alive until this could heal; anyhow, I left him in about 1/2" water for a few minutes, and I think his flesh lightened up a bit in color, but now that he's back in the tank, no movement at all. I should know by morning if he's gone for sure.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I think you did the right thing. In humans, the problem is when air gets in the area between the lung and chest wall and prevents the lungs from filling up with air. That is why they insert a tube to drain that area of air/fluid when you are in the hospital.

I doubt he will make it but you did your best. I would still keep him in isolation with very clean shallow water.

I lost 2 of mine this week (likely fall phosphate spike) :(

huffmagx

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Georgia
I had this happen to one of mine a long time back as well and the outcome was not good. I hope yours is better. I also didn't think of the deflation idea so if it works who knows we might have all learned something.

You hate to lose one you raised from a wee little egg I know.... I hope he bounces back for you!!

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
OMG he is still alive. I went to the tank thinking I would have to remove him...he had stayed flacid all evening, started listing to one side while upright in the tank...I went to net him and he pulled all the way in. The most movement I've seen from him since this started.

What do you all think? Should I put him in a more shallow tank? Right now he's in my 30 gal with about 11" of water.

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Bravo!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store