Apple Snail has Huge BUBBLE in flesh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
It actually occurred to me too...does anyone else think I should try it? If it's a lung...doesn't it need to be "air tight?"

Hellbore

AC Members
Aug 31, 2010
Well since the condition is going to kill him anyway, if it was me I would take an insulin syringe (if you have access to them) and put the needle into the bubble and pull out the air. Insulin needles are very thin so maybe the hole would seal up and heal.

What's to lose? It's a fatal condition anyway...

Besides, that's what they do to people when they have a collapsed lung, they stick a "needle" in there (albeit, a very big one, more like a sharpened tube) and let the air out of the air pocket.

But then again, he's probably gone by now... and having access to syringes and needles isn't a given at all :\

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I'm so sorry about your snail's condition and wish you and him/her the best.

angel fresh

AC Members
May 23, 2010
sorry it is really sad to know, i had never heard or seen like this before , how is it doing now?.

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
The bubble seemed to be getting bigger, and he was slipping out of his shell more. I've taken him out again to examine the bubble. It had a small amount of water in it but now that seems to have leaked out. He's less responsive, and his flesh doesn't look good -- it's dark, not yellow.

Callmeconfused

The sad effect of sleep deprivation
Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
I'd hate to suggest it, but have you thought of euthanizing him? I don't know how easy it would be with one of his size, I've never done it before.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I'm not sure about the anatomy of a snail... but when people get a collapsed lung, the sac around the lung (not the lung itself) fills with air, causing the lung the be pushed aside. If that's what's happening to the snail, I would think that like another poster suggested, you could poke a small hole in the sac and see what happened. If they're like humans, once the lung reinflated, the small hole you created would seal itself.

Not sure if you want to try it, but it seems like a lost cause if you don't... or if you do and it doesn't work.

Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store