55 Gallon Discus Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
This is my 55 gallon Discus grow out tank. I've had it running with the Discus about a month and a half now.

Equipment:

- Fluval 304 Canister
- Fluval 205 Canister
- Coralife Lighting Fixture w/ 2 x 65w Bulbs @ 6,700k each
- Ehiem Jager 250watt Heater
- Seachem Liquid Fertilizers

Flora:

- Amazon Swords
- Red Rubin Sword
- Melon Sword
- Ozelot Sword
- Anbuias Nana

Fauna:

- 3 Fire Red Stendker Discus
- 3 Red Scribble Stendker Discus
- 1 Albino Bristlenose
- MTS/Assassin Snails

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
OMG aXio, that's GORGEOUS!!! I love discus but am too scared of how sensitive they are to own them! Oh man, that is such a beautiful tank and very pretty fish! WOW!

Maribeth

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
OMG aXio, that's GORGEOUS!!! I love discus but am too scared of how sensitive they are to own them! Oh man, that is such a beautiful tank and very pretty fish! WOW!

Maribeth
To be honest they have bit of a misjudged rep. As long as your doing what you need to be Discus can be hardier then most common tropical fish. The only real reason the say it's hard because it required anywhere from 3-7 water changes a week to grow them out properly. Once you get a system going it's not too much of a hassle. Thank you for the kind words.

Awesome tank!
Thank you good sir.

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
Beautiful tank I've never owned discus but that's my next project. I've also read that you should keep them in a shoal of five or more discus.

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
are you using co2 for your plants? just wondering because I'm also thinking of doing a planted tank for my future discus fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great looking tank!

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Impressive aXio! I love your discus. Your tank design is also great.
You've influenced me to the point that I want a discus tank.. Next time, I just need a bigger tank.

Awesome tank, again :)

Waltmark

AC Members
Aug 27, 2010
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3-7 water changes a week? Don't know much about discus, what is the reason for that? are they sensitive to any build-up of nitrate?

and PS: AWESOME TANK

Last edited:

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
i find the discus i have easy to keep.
she has a varied diet and 1 x w/change a wk
but at the tread above says u should 4/5 w/change every wk or 1 daily for there full size potental

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store