55 Gallon Discus Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
mine dosnt eat any more than the angel or keyhole i have but she's the deffo king of the tank tho and she knows it as well

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
are you using co2 for your plants? just wondering because I'm also thinking of doing a planted tank for my future discus fish.
Yes it is correct that discus like to be kept in at least groups of five. Most people actually say 6 which is what I'm starting out with myself. No co2 on my tank, I'm using Root Tabs and I'm dosing Trace, Iron, Excel, and Flourish from Seachem. I actually find it nice using Excel instead of CO2 on this tank because I can more easily adjust how much I put in each day based on my water changes that week. Some time I do more water changes depending on how messy the water gets after feeding time. Most people like to grow out Discus in a bare bottle tank because it's much easier with water changes... but I just can stare at an ugly tank in my room =)

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
Great looking tank!
Thank you!

Impressive aXio! I love your discus. Your tank design is also great.
You've influenced me to the point that I want a discus tank.. Next time, I just need a bigger tank.

Awesome tank, again :)
That puts a good big smile on my face that I was able to influence some one to do something! I designed my tank in a way that I can to vacuum and water change with out messing with the plants. So I scaped in "islands". Good luck on the future tank! =)

3-7 water changes a week? Don't know much about discus, what is the reason for that? are they sensitive to any build-up of nitrate?

and PS: AWESOME TANK
Yes discus need really clean water compared to most fish. Also when growing out discus it is good to feed them anywhere from 4-6 times a day, usually a beef heart mix is used which can get pretty messy in the water. Most people actually just use a bare bottom tank so that they can easily clean the bottom of the tank with a siphon and change out atleast 50% of the water. There are local breeders I know that actually do 150% changes a day on a centralized system. If grown out right Discus can reach a size of 8-10".

With that said as you can see I have a planted tank. When doing so you need to find a compromise with the amount water changes because too many will take out all the nutrients that plants need to grow well. Plants DO help with controlling bio-load so there is a plus to using them. I personally do 3 water changes a week. Once the discus grow out to full size you can slow your water changes to once a week and tone down on the feeding as well.

Last edited:

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
AWESOME!!!!!

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
Yes it is correct that discus like to be kept in at least groups of five. Most people actually say 6 which is what I'm starting out with myself. No co2 on my tank, I'm using Root Tabs and I'm dosing Trace, Iron, Excel, and Flourish from Seachem. I actually find it nice using Excel instead of CO2 on this tank because I can more easily adjust how much I put in each day based on my water changes that week. Some time I do more water changes depending on how messy the water gets after feeding time. Most people like to grow out Discus in a bare bottle tank because it's much easier with water changes... but I just can stare at an ugly tank in my room =)
Yeah I was wondering because lately i've read articles, where they show how to do a planted tank without co2. So I was wondering If this is true, or if its harder to take care of. Thank you I have to say if I haven't already that you have an awesome tank and beautiful fish

RhondaAnn

AC Members
Feb 4, 2009
I LOVE your discus tank. I hope you keep us all updated on them. I've never heard of the kind you have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store