Stocking my first 29 gallon tank. Help / Suggestions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
CT, welcome to the site! I love 29s and the kit you bought is what I started back into the hobby with 3+ years ago after being out of it for almost 30yrs. The Top Fin 30 hang-on-back isn't the best filter in terms of bio media. All they rely on is that thin black sponge for bio media.

Just as an example, but on my 29, I run a AquaClear 30 HOB and a two cheap eBay sponge bubbler filters.

IMO, the only water parameters you should be concerned with at this point is seeing nothing but nitrates. Until that happens, pH, GH and KH are meaningless. You need an API master test kit for this. Test strips are for Petco and Petsmart. LOL..

You have a lot of cool stocking options for a 29g. You could go as simple as two fancy goldfish, which are a lot more fun than people give them credit for, or you could go with a vast array of smaller tropicals. In the 29 in my sig, I haven and angel as a center piece fish, 6 julii corys, 6 silver hatchets and 5 celestial pearl danios. It's a very active tank. I've got lots of java fern and anubias nana in this tank with a basic T8 fluorescent hood/light.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Goldies are gross, but fantastic "dog" fish :) lots of personality where others lack. Check the above 4th paragraph, though. Great example!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would not put zebra danios in a 5g, they're way too active. Can you give them back to the store? Pick something smaller for your wife's 5.
yup.

CrimsonTide

AC Members
Jul 16, 2016
First round of fish bought.
I purchased 6 Cory Panda's from a mom and pop store. I absolutely love them. One died within two days of stocking the tank. He wouldn't shoal, was always by himself. The rest are extremely active. They play in the currents, and look super cool.

Now I have questions:
I've been alternating the cory's diet between shrimp pellets (2), algae tablet (broken in half), and flakes. I feed them twice a day. Once before work 7:30ish, once before bed 10pm. I don't want to overfeed.

I got 30 gallon top fin filter. I want to move to a Aquaclear 70 powerfilter. Will this harm my tank if I switch over?

Thanks for the help and advice. I love browsing the forums. I'll get my wife to take some pictures and upload them. Right now I got some dwarf grass, about 6 small water wisteria, and a water lettuce on the way.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If you're going to switch over to a new filter I think while you're low stocked this would be the best time. The day you setup the new filter, take your old dirty filter cartridge and squeeze it into the new filter. This will give you some of the bacteria and jump start the colony. You do have enough bacteria in your gravel, more than likely, but this will help if something weird happens.

As to feeding, watch their bellies and watch your nitrates and you'll know if you're feeding too much.

Sounds like everything is going good! :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Or you can run both filters concurrently for about a month or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store