Stocking my first 29 gallon tank. Help / Suggestions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonTide

AC Members
Jul 16, 2016
I went with the Top Fin 29 gallon starter kit. Sorta of an impulse buy after reading up on aquariums for a couple of days.

We have ran into some rough patches already with the filter from this tank. The first filter quit working after about 8 hours. The second filter impeller rattled extremely loud, and the third impeller rattles, but it's tolerable. The tank is in my bedroom. I am defiantly going to replace the filter in the future.

I'm one week into cycling a new tank with 3 Zebra Danios. I've been doing a 10 gallon water change every two - three days. I've used API Quickstart and, Tetra AquaSafe.

API test strip current reading:
GH - 180
KH - 120
PH - 7.5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -0

As far as stocking the tank I know I defiantly want Cory Pandas, and a Dwarf Gourami. I would like a couple of schools if I have room. I'm open for suggestions there. My wife wants something colorful.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Color--Haelequin Rasboras are nice, or pick the color of Platy that you want.

CrimsonTide

AC Members
Jul 16, 2016
I worry about the GH levels in the tank. All of my readings have been consistent, even the KH and PH levels have been the same since day 1. I do a test strip check 12 hours after every water change.

CrimsonTide

AC Members
Jul 16, 2016
I was thinking of
x6 Cory Pandas
x1 Dwarf Gourami
x6 Zebra Danio
x8 Neon Tetra's.

Does this seem pretty balanced?
Also I started mixing in 1 gallon of distilled per 4 gallons of treated tap. My GH is hanging at 180. My KH seems to have dropped. PH is still at 7.5ish, nitrate is at 0.

I'm going to purchase a API master test kit instead of the strips.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Zebra danios can be a bit nippy. I wouldn't necessarily mix them with a gourami or neon tetras. Though I just noticed that you said you are cycling the tank with these, so you may be stuck with making a school of them. But you might go with something more durable than neons if you're going with the danios. You could go for a couple of platies for color and something that won't be stressed by the danios. Or black neons instead. Cherry barbs are another option for color and would be ok with the danios.

I wouldn't trust the dip tests 100%, so its good that you're going to get the liquid kit.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fast Danios and slow Neons will not mix. If you are going to keep the Danios, then I would get some Barbs instead.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Neons get very timid and stressed when mixed with more aggressive tankmates. I've had rotten luck with them, so now mostly avoid them. I've had better luck with black neons, but they are not as colorful. They are hardy and school, and mix well with other tetras. My sister has some that hang out with bloodfins.

Cherry barbs are also very hardy and peaceful. The ones I had years ago explored the entire tank.

CrimsonTide

AC Members
Jul 16, 2016
This weekend if my water tests are decent I will start adding the cories. The zebra danios may get moved to my wife's 5 gallon since I'm set on the dwarf gourami.

I may go with
8 Harlequin
6 Cherry Barb

I'm not big on the nippers.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
zoomed.com