Some pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I've always thought black ghost knifes (knives?) look cool. But I've only ever seen little 1s in shops, chilling in a plastic tube either clear or opaque. They grow pretty big I think, but you have lots of room!!

So what is your secret? How big is s/he? Which tank is it in? Oh , I think the black substrate is your really big tank...It seems like big loaches might be too boisterous or maybe BGK is not as mellow as they seem...do tell! Are they hard to feed?
It is not that large yet - maybe 2 to 3 inches; he was a tank raised fish so pretty cheap - got him from aquahunaa for $20. He mostly 'lives' in the vals on the far side under a piece of driftwood but i've seen him on one occasion when i put some shrimp in the tank go to the opposite side (10 feet) pretty quickly to get a nibble. The loaches mostly stay towards my end of the aquarium where is is more open and rarely actually go into the vals; so that might be how the dynamic works. Btw my loan cherry barb hides under a rock at night to avoid the festums and my serpae mostly hide in the vals 'cept when feeding time. I think everyone is more afraid of the festums than the loaches.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yikes! I always forget your "killer" festivums. Do they fight with each other or just kill small tankmates? You may have said...

I'm glad you clown loaches aren't too active for your little BGK...& also that they hang at "your end" of the tank. Last time I had clowns they liked "my end" of the tank too. Not just waiting for food either, the "best cave" was there...& me, lol...& my computer screen, they seemed to really like sites with blue backgrounds like LOL & AC of old. (sigh) I miss my clowns & other botia types.

That's cool you were able to get a tank bred BG knife! Do you have a link or 2 on how they're bred? Or even sexed? I did a quick google but didn't find any info like that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love wild discus!! Pretty round shapes! How many didn't you get? They look like a nice size but maybe not adults yet?

& what is that sandy looking catfish? Something cool & exotic knowing you, jake, lol.

You must have been good for Santa to bring you such nice fish!! Ho ho ho!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I love wild discus!! Pretty round shapes! How many didn't you get? They look like a nice size but maybe not adults yet?

& what is that sandy looking catfish? Something cool & exotic knowing you, jake, lol.

You must have been good for Santa to bring you such nice fish!! Ho ho ho!
Not sure how large they get but they are around 5 inches; only the 4 in the picture will pick up 4 more sooner or later for a total of 8 in a 240.

The other fish is Pseudohemiodon aff. apithanos (https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=77)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Discus "should" grow to at least 6 or 8 inches...& of course you have the tanks for them.

Wow, I knew it! That catfish will only get better & better looking! TY for the link, I'm always learning!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, just what genders are they? The Left fish is much more colorful, 2 dots on the dorsal... Anal fin looks more pointy on the right fish, only 1 dorsal dot...but the dorsal on L looks more pointy & colorful. My guess is male on the left & female on the right or 2 males?

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
So, just what genders are they? The Left fish is much more colorful, 2 dots on the dorsal... Anal fin looks more pointy on the right fish, only 1 dorsal dot...but the dorsal on L looks more pointy & colorful. My guess is male on the left & female on the right or 2 males?
I've been told 2 dots is a male and 1 dot is a female; which would fit your guess. So i guess they are discussing terms of surrender or something like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store