Penguin overflows around intake tube and insert?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mperrin9673

AC Members
May 24, 2022
Ok, so it is 2022, and this is still a problem. my filter is brand new and the center of my pump where the intake is overflows when it is at max speed, yet this is the only way to keep my bio wheel moving.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

How new is "brand new"? Clogged media is the usual cause of the problem. You may have to rinse & squeeze it out every week (in tank water or dechlorinated tap water). Did you cycle the tank (how?) & do you have fish or plants yet? Stuff extra media in there?

Tell us more about your tank please. Everything! Then we may have more questions. Pics can help too if you're allowed to post them yet (you may need 5 posts to do that, I don't recall the current rule on that).

You may want to start your own new thread instead of continuing a very old 1. There's a new thread/topic button or bar at the right top of each forum. You'll get more help that way.

mperrin9673

AC Members
May 24, 2022
Welcome to AC!

How new is "brand new"? Clogged media is the usual cause of the problem. You may have to rinse & squeeze it out every week (in tank water or dechlorinated tap water). Did you cycle the tank (how?) & do you have fish or plants yet? Stuff extra media in there?

Tell us more about your tank please. Everything! Then we may have more questions. Pics can help too if you're allowed to post them yet (you may need 5 posts to do that, I don't recall the current rule on that).

You may want to start your own new thread instead of continuing a very old 1. There's a new thread/topic button or bar at the right top of each forum. You'll get more help that way.
Brand new being 30 min after set up

mperrin9673

AC Members
May 24, 2022
Welcome to AC!

It is a 60 gal aquarium and I let it cycle for 48 hours. Thirty min in I noticed it overflowing, I let it run for 3 days but nothing changed. I do have fish and plants in there no since I let it cycle for 48 hour with some QuickStart. I did rinse out the filter befor I put it in. I went to petsmart and bout some sponge filter stuff and some bags of carbon. I stacked the foam in the filter and put the small carbon bag on top. Everything seems to be working fine now

mperrin9673

AC Members
May 24, 2022
My friend has the same filter as me, it is just the 30 gal version, and his has the same problem as me

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Make sure the intake tube is firmly seated. Did you see bubbles? It might have been sucking air. I'm glad it's working ok now.

You might want to use a sponge prefilter to keep debris, especially leaves, out of the filter. You'll need to rinse the prefilter every week or 2 but easier than cleaning the filter as much. I also like to use 2 filters on tanks over, say, 20 gallons, even less work. Is it a 60 breeder or 4ft tank?

We'd love to see pics when you get a chance.

mperrin9673

AC Members
May 24, 2022
Make sure the intake tube is firmly seated. Did you see bubbles? It might have been sucking air. I'm glad it's working ok now.

You might want to use a sponge prefilter to keep debris, especially leaves, out of the filter. You'll need to rinse the prefilter every week or 2 but easier than cleaning the filter as much. I also like to use 2 filters on tanks over, say, 20 gallons, even less work. Is it a 60 breeder or 4ft tank?

We'd love to see pics when you get a chance.
image.jpg
This is what I did to it

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I would bet the problem is yhe sponge, It is proble one with fine pores which clog a lot easier than higher ppi (pores per inch) foam. Here is the way you can tell if this is the case. Remove the media to a bucket of dechlored water and run the filter. My guess is it wont show the problem. Then begin to return the media one piece at a time and tun the filter. You should find out what is causing the problem pretty quicky this way.

My first power filter was an Emperor 400. I ran it for about 8 or 9 years when it died. I replaced it and the changes made to this once great filter had me return it after it was only on the tank for 15 minutes. The Penguin is the cheaper version of the Emperor.

I had 28 running AquaClears at my peak plus the emp. and one each Liberty and a small tetra. . Today I have only 18. I And more of these would be replaced if i wasn't leaving the hobby in the not too distant future. I have replaced a lot of my filtration using central air pums and Poret foam cubefilters and Mattenfilters. Better filtration, cleaner water and cheaper to run.

Our house has no basement and two buildings. I have tanks all over the place and this makes if impossible to centralize filtration except in one room. I also dislike listening to air pumps in bedrooms etc.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I too prefer Aquaclear HOBs, and those are my "main" filters. However, I have (and have had) Penguin filters and like them as well for specific situation and purposes.
I see your Penguin is the newer model 375, with the motor submerged in the tank, as opposed to the "classic" design (330, 350, 350B) where it was not. I have not had one of those but they look nice!

I believe you may obtain better results with 2-3 simple actions, some already suggested:
1- Make your media just a tad lower, so that it does not extend upwards beyond the surface of the water contained in the filter. (I believe) what happens is that once the media becomes somewhat clogged, the water level rises, producing the overflow you describe.
2- Rinse the media no less than weekly so there is minimal clogging. This should prevent the rising of the water and the overflowing.
The suggestion of a prefilter, which is also rinsed frequently will ensure less clogging and hence possible less rising.

I too do NOT use disposable cartridges. What I have done is to use the plastic frame of the original disposable cartridges and cut sponges to fit within them; these are rinsed weekly and I never bought more cartridges than those that came with the filter (one of them more than 10 years ago!). In the other slot, I put one of the Penguin boxes to fit that filter model, filled with ceramic media. And of course, there are the biowheels.
As prefilters I also have my own 'proprietary' method, using plastic screen cut to the correct size. The later lasts a few months, and I replace them as needed.
The photos below show the arrangement in a Penguin 330, and below a prefilter in an Aquaclear 110 (but identical to those I use for all filters).
And finally, I too use at least dual filters in all my tanks. It is cheap insurance.
Good luck!
Penguin 350 filter set-up comp.jpg
Prefilter AQUACLEAR 110 comp.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I see in your pics that the carbon bag is almost touching the wheel. I only use carbon if needed to remove meds or something, not all the time. I would do as FJB says & not have the media up so high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store