Penguin overflows around intake tube and insert?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

michelliot

AC Members
May 6, 2003
Visit site
Normally, this would be a sign that the filter material and carbon was clogging up the flow of water back into the tank. Even when I take out the filter insert completely, it's still overflowing around the edges of the tube. It's when I remove the biowheel that the water level within the filter drops to a normal level. The wheel moves fairly smoothly without much hesitation. This leads me to believe that the intake is too fast for the outward flow. An unlikely senario, but true. Has anyone remedied this before. I'd hate to decrease the flow intake.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Elliot •¿•

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the flow is faster than the filter media (which includes the bio-wheel) can process it, it does no good. Reduce the flow as needed. If this results in inadequate filtration, consider upgrading or adding additional filters to the system.

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
The flow problem is likely due to the filter not being level and at a right angle (90 degree) to the ground.

I have the same problems periodically with mine and I just increase the gap between the bottom of the filter box and the tank wall (lean the filter outflow into the tank more).

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
oh yeah, as a last resort, make some sort of a restriction on the siphon (intake). This will dramatically affect performance and should only be a stop gap measure until you can get a replacement.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Its actually a developmental flaw with the penguin filters. They all at one time or another do it. If the water isn't comming out from around the intake, then the bio wheel has just stopped for no reason. These two problems have happened to just about everyone who has had a penguin filter at one time or another. I just let the water overflow by the intake tube for months and then one day it magically stopped. I looked over and it was fine. My friend had a problem with is bio wheel just not moving. Then, all of a sudden, it would turn very slowly, and then it would stop again. Your just gonna have to deal with it man, or, get a new filter. Hopefully, it will fix itself like mine did.

michelliot

AC Members
May 6, 2003
Visit site
Spoke to Marineland

They said that sometimes these filters come with super impellars that pump too quickly. Wouldn't that make the level in the filter drop instead of rise. Anyway, what little is being fed back into the tank is really of no consequence since all of the water is being filtered eventually. I think that makes sense. Water's clear as glass and chemical tests are fine. Ill just continue monitoring and unless things change drastically I don't think there's any real reason for concern.

Thanks and enjoy your aquatic friends. That's what it's really all about.

Elliot °¿°

zzyzx

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
In a Tree
Visit site
Re: Spoke to Marineland

Originally posted by michelliot
They said that sometimes these filters come with super impellars that pump too quickly. Wouldn't that make the level in the filter drop instead of rise. Anyway, what little is being fed back into the tank is really of no consequence since all of the water is being filtered eventually. I think that makes sense. Water's clear as glass and chemical tests are fine. Ill just continue monitoring and unless things change drastically I don't think there's any real reason for concern.

Thanks and enjoy your aquatic friends. That's what it's really all about.

Elliot °¿°
That would be true if the pump was located on the filtered side of the media. However, that's not the case. The pump draws aquarium water through the lift tube. If the filter media is clogged, the pump is moving more water than what can flow through the filter media. Thus, the water backs up, the level rises and spill over the overflow. This condition is most likely caused by clogged filter media.

BTW, you can buy serviceable filter frames for the Penguins. Pet Solutions sells them last time I checked.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
I don't get it. If marineland gets so many calls from people having problems with the Penguis' bio wheels stopping and water overflowing from the intake area, why don't they slightly change the design?

zzyzx

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
In a Tree
Visit site
Originally posted by NJ Devils Fan
I don't get it. If marineland gets so many calls from people having problems with the Penguis' bio wheels stopping and water overflowing from the intake area, why don't they slightly change the design?
The Biowheel(s) stopping isn't necessarily bad. It's if the biowheels permanently stop for a long period of time that allows the wheels to dry out. That is not good. The Penguin overflow window is by design. It indicates the filter pad needs to be serviced. The biowheels can stop turning if the pad continues to become clogged.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Overflow window? Whats that?

I don't want water comming out of thr wrong area of my filter regaurdless of the media being clogged. Even when there is not pad in there, mine used to still overflow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store