New 20 gallon freshwater aquarium - any fish suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hmmm.....Well, I was actually thinking of starting a nano tank, in my half gallon. Do Malaysian trumpet snails sound okay for that size then?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I was thinking of having just two. If they reproduce, I could just transport a few to my 20gal. Still too Many? Also, can I keep them Coldwater tanks?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
MTS don't just reproduce....they multiply. I pull 100 out of my 40g breeder weekly, and that hardly dents my population. The rest just laugh. I use them as feeders for my clown loaches in the 100g. You want fat, happy, healthy clown loaches? MTS and frozen shrimp, dude.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Exactly it won't be a few. It will be hundreds. They reproduce asexually so you will have hundreds from one in a matter of weeks.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Can I keep just one in that case?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You can try, but one will still make many more very quickly and they're really hard to kill when you do get overstocked. Honestly, ramshorns would be better as they are easier to kill. One will still turn into many very quickly as they also reproduce asexually. But they don't burrow and don't have a trap door. So removing them is easier.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I still have a question... can they survive in unheated tanks?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Ramshorns are very hardy and don't require heat. I have some in my 29g, and have not had an issue with them overpopulating. I suspect that something is picking off most of the baby snails, because I don't have nearly the number I expected to have by now. Not sure if the BNs are eating the eggs and babies.

I also have pond snails, but again, they don't seem to be reproducing that fast in my tank. However, we've had several pond snail outbreaks at work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store