New 20 gallon freshwater aquarium - any fish suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
So all I have so far in my tank is a female betta. She is beginning to adjust, and I'm looking to get more fish soon. What I'm looking for are suggestions for non-territorial, decently small fish, and a couple of the species I'm looking to get are: Otto cats, guppies, tetras, kuhli loaches and an aquatic frog. Any suggestions? :)

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
It depends on if it is a 20H or a 20L. Most folks get 20H, so I'll start there. You can do Ottos but they have to be fed, so you will have to decide what type of food you're going to feed. I like using natural food like blanched peas, green beans and things of that nature. The guppys should be no problem. You need to consider if you want to have fry or just want to go with males only. If you have a female she is prego trust me. Kuhlis need at least 5 friends and the tank may be too small once they are adults. Tetras, there are several types that can go with the guppys and betta. Penguins, Black Neons, Lemon, Head and Tale light, Glow Lights. Stay away from Serpeas and the like as they will fin nip.You may want to look at the rasboras, any will work. Also a school of 8 Cherry Barbs would look great as well especially if you mix regulor and albinos. As for the frog, here again make sure you're equiped to feed it properly.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Food for thought, many years ago I had fancy guppies and a male beta in a tank. The beta perceived the fantail guppys as a threat. Also, though the beta lived several years, with new found freedom, his fins were not as long, still there, just not as long as when I bought him.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I wouldn't mix guppies and a betta. As Wild West Wild West wrote, the betta may well see them and their long fins as threats. Also, I agree that Kuhlis aren't well suited to a 20, even a 20-long.

However, you still have some great choices! A school of harlequin rasboras would look great and stick with the Asian theme of the betta. Though South American, a small school of corydoras habrosus would do well in such a tank.

And post pics when you get it ready!

Reactions: Wild West

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Well, what I've heard is that only the males attack guppies because the guppy fins look like betta fins. And we all know how aggressive male bettas are. But, you could be right! And replying to henningc's question, it is a 20L tank. Does it have to be 20H to keep some of the species I want in my tank? And thank you all for your answers! If you have any more comments or questions, write more!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Or y'know, more fish suggestions:)

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I don't think anything that's been mentioned wouldn't do well in a 20-long. :)

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Oh good.:)

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Anyone??

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
There are many different kinds of Kulie loaches. IMO, 4-5 Kulies (Pangio kuhlii) would be fine in a 20L. The thick bodied Kulies would not be a good idea.
Also not all tetras will go with Bettas and guppys. Which tetras are you thinking of?

Reactions: Gabler
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store