Is this ich on my fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh no, that's not what we wanna hear. Gotta get this straightened out! Waiting on updated picture....

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
So here is a couple shots. Excuse my algae on the glass tomorrow is water change day. I don't think the spot is an anchorworm, but it's starting to get longer so idk. I'm just wondering how to treat it, wether it's a fungus, parasite or bacterial infection. I'm leaning more towards fungus.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is it "lumpy" like cauliflower? Long thin hairlike stringy? It doesn't look familiar in a fungus, columnaris or lymphocystus (sp?) -like way. It's so fast growing too, I don't know what to suggest. It almost looks like you could trim or pull it off...not that I'm suggesting you do that!!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That is certainly a new one to me. Does the fish have any other symptoms? Does the "growth" seem soft and squishy or hard?

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
It seems a little lumpy. But I'm not shure if it's soft or not. I'm assuming so. It's really hard to say without actually knowing just by sight. It is frustrating because if I knew what it was I would go out and by the medication but since money's tight (college student) I can't be buying all different medications to try out. I've had to do that before and it's super expensive. The only other symptom I have seen is flashing, which is why I thought it might be ich at the start of the infection.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Update, it seems to be a little smaller today. Hopefully starting to shrink. I did a WC, still trying to decide what meds to get or if even needed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well if it's lymphocystis (better spelling this time), I don't think there's anything you can do, it's a virus I think. Go with lots of WCs until you can tell what it is. It can spread to other fish but isn't fatal most times.

It's not just the cost of treating, many are hard on fish & may damage beneficial bacteria unnecessarily. & trying 1 after another is usually not a good answer.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
It seems to be getting smaller. I'm just hoping clean water will help speed up the recovery. Still any ideas on what it is? It has reduced to about the size of the first post pictures.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to "guess" "lympho" but don't really know. If you have a UV sterilizer, it might help reduce it & keep up the WCs. I know it's a lot of work but it seems to be helping. Keep us up to date & good luck!

alan01230

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Add some aquarium salt to your tank maybe a teasponnful for 10 gallons be easy on the sa,=lt as I see you have real plants and salt is hard on plants and catfish really dont care much for salt either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store