I killed my Betta. :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MelissaT

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2015
I set up my 10 gallon 2 weeks ago. I did a 10% water change every 3 days until I noticed he was sick then I did 1 30% water change every day for 3 days, then 1 100% water change one day, then 2 10% water changes in 1 day. Then he died. I fed him Hikari Betta bio gold, as a treat I fed him Betta dial a treat. The bio gold I fed him 3 or 4 teeny tiny pellets twice a day. Every couple days I would skip the bio gold and feed him the tiniest bit if a treat, like the size of a pin head. I was only feeding him once a day, but, he was looking a little thin and internet research said just a tiny bit twice a day. He cleaned up all the food pretty quickly until he got sick.

MelissaT

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2015
I have not tested my tap water, I will tomorrow. I am suspicious that may be part of my problem. I am surrounded by cropland. So possibly groundwater contamination from pesticides and fertilizer?

MelissaT

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2015
No, it is my responsibility. It is my well on 10 acres of land. I should have it tested, but, I have no other access to water, so, no matter what the results were I would still be using it. The levels probably shift depending on the season. Spring and summer would probably be higher levels of nitrates/nitrites due to crops being planted, pesticides and fertilized. It's very spendy to have my well professionally tested. I will test my tap water with my aquarium kit though. Kinda curious now.

MelissaT

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2015
No, the closest municipal suppy is an hour away. I read the I should boil the well water first and that might help. I ordered all the stuff mentioned above plus 1 incandescent light bulb and 1 LED light bulb. A new tank heater with an adjustable thermostat, a digital thermometer. 3 more live plants, a gang valve to better control the air pump. Everything should arrive tomorrow. I will test my tap water some time today. I'm a little busy right now, we have a bobcat living on our property, it killed 2 of my cats. So I am dealing with that. I also bought new tubing, new filters, and a mopani wood tunnel. My 20 dollar fish has now turned into a 200.00 dollar fish. :). Good thing my husband likes to see me happy and my aquarium makes me happy.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What did your test kit show on your well water?

MelissaT

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2015
Ph was 7.6
High range Ph was 7.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 40 ppm
So, that's part of my problem right there.
Any suggestions on lowering nitrates?
I checked out an API water filter, but, it doesn't seem to last very long. I cannot justify spending 3 of 4 hundred dollars for a 10 gallon aguarium. Is the delivered water, like culligan suitable? Then I could drink it too, maybe the well water is what has been causing me to have Lupus flares. What about the bottled water from Walmart?

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I would honestly start by boiling water before you do anything with it, then maybe even run it through a Brita filter? Can never be too safe hahaha

Reactions: MelissaT
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store