Honey Gouramis Are they Just Weird?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Last Thursday I bought two Honey Gouramis and they are now in the QT. They seem to be terrified of me. They stay in the back of the tank and do nothing but swim frantically up and down from the bottom to the surface, then switch and go side to side. Whenever I approach the tank they hide, so I have never seen them eat. I have stood far enough away from the tank and watched them, so that they don't seem bothered by me, and even then I never see them poking around looking for food. Just swimming up and down, and back and forth looking like they are searching for the way out. I've never had this type of fish before. Do they usually behave this way? Will they settle down once they have some tankmates?
I have tested the water and all is well in that department.
Is this normal behavior?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
yep.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah, some fish are inherently more wild than others. It may be due to slower learning capacity or due to genetic or epigenetic expression of genes that means they are not as domesticated as other more friendly fish. Time spent sitting calmly in view of the fish goes a ways towards letting them get used to you either way though.

I have fish that have both spastic run hide wild and learned tame behaviors. If I do anything over the surface of the water it is wildly scary, but if I first let them see my face for a bit beside the tank not over it, assuming they haven't just run and hidden, then they beg and are ok with me putting food in. They still don't completely like seeing my hand over the tank but the learned tameness somewhat overcomes the genetic wild behavior

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You would be scared too if your was taken from your familiar placed and put into a new strage place with a big creature staring at you.

Reactions: evil wizard

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thank you SnakeIce. I will try your suggestion. Appreciate the help.

Tanker, yes that is true, but other fish that I have taken from the lfs and put into the QT have not behaved in the same way.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Not sure what you may be using in your QT for giving them hiding places, but some floating plastic plants would go a long way towards making them feel more secure.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have some plants in there and a large rock that they seem to like to get behind. I tried sitting quietly near the tank a couple of times today and it did seem to help. Also gave them a little portion of bloodworms which they seemed to enjoy. I think it is the first time they have eaten anything since I got them. After that their behavior was much more like normal aquarium fish checking around the tank for food. I stayed near the tank while they were eating in the hope that they will begin to associate me with food. Anyway, it was definitely an improvement. Thanks for the ideas.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
For fish like that, I'm surprised there isn't any fish Prozac or Valium in flake form to clam them down. Who knows, maybe someday there will be.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'v seen most species of gourami behave this way before. It will stop you in your tracks the first time it happens. Crazy stuff...darting around frantically smashing into the glass. Maybe a water quality or temperature related issue triggers it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store