HELP! Just woke up and canister filter not running..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
Not everything will die off, there's still O2 in the water. Remove the media if you can and set it in the tank. Not sure exactly what kind is in that canister.
it is a JEBO 839 canister.. It has pads and ceramic media in it... It is still full of water as the input and output tubes are full of water... Just no circulation of course.. Sorry if repeating myself.. just tired... I was kinda hoping if I kept it sealed and did this in the morning, I can deal with everything then... If it is true what the other forum said, about beneficial biologicals dying off in about an hour, it's already toast since it's been about 3 hours now...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I disagree that it would all die off in that short of time. And it will replenish in 24-48 hours as every surface inside you tank has bacteria on it also. If it was me, I'd just leave it and replace the filter in the morning.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
okay..sounds good.... tank is established...did a full on cleaning that included gravel vacuuming and filter rinsing, and about a 70% water change less than a month ago... I will get the new filter, lightly rinse and re-use the media and pads, along with SafeStart.. Do about a 30% water change and test the tank for the next few days.. Thanks again for all your advice... I am headed back to bed.. Hugs... ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sometimes during a shutoff snails or debris can get into the impeller and lock it up. I would just take the filter apart and check it out, make sure the impeller area is clean, put it back together and try it again before buying a new filter.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
bacteria shouldnt die off until days or weeks..

but, be aware of aneorobic gasses building up in your canister, opening ut to let gasses escape should suffice to make it safe.

try re-priming before getting a new one, if there is air surrounding the impeller, it will not move any water.

there will be enough bacteria in your tank either way, especually if an airstone creates a current. but to be sure, keep testing your water for ammonia and nitrite until you are comfortable there isnt a problem.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
Thank you all for your advice and support.. After all was said and done, the impeller was "stuck".. Added a Whisper 4 HOB filter to the tank, while I took the JEBO 839 canister apart... The filter inside looked pretty good but flushed it while doing a 35% water change.. It's been several days now and still have the Whisper 4 running with just a pad in it.. It really helped to catch any loose stuff that was pumped back into the tank.. The initial tank test readings were fine and will test again today.. The canister is running fine right now but the idea of getting a self-priming one is still in my plans.. Just can't afford one right now.. Everyone in the tank is doing fine, so I guess my "motherly" panic was all for naught!..

Thanks again everyone...

Lori

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Glad that's all it was and you didn't need to replace it. Canister are pretty good workhorses and last a long time, minus a new impeller or shaft once in awhile, so I figured the impeller had to just be stuck.

Priming a filter is rarely a problem for me. IF I do have trouble priming I just crack the seal between the head and body and let the air out, sometimes I get a few dribbles but usually I get it close enough that it starts up and I can shake the filter till the air passes. Do you have shut off valves on your input and output?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'm glad you got it "unstuck"! BUT.....if it stuck with debris on a power failure, I would recommend more frequent cleanings. Personally, I would chuck the Jebo filter. I have never had a Marineland canister ever clog and fail to re-start on a power return. 30 years of using them and as many as 40 at a time.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Okay.. It won't restart.. I may need to get a new one when the LFS opens.. By then, will the biologicals be dead? Would I have to start over? Thanks so much.. Lori

Should be plenty of fine until morning, in an already established tank theres more than enough bacteria on walls, substrate, etc. to help the short time the filter will be down. I think you'd be fine.Honestly Im sure having the filter off days wouldn't affect the population that horribly in older tank, although I obv wouldnt reccomend it. Any luck yet w filter??

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you put sponge pre-filters on the intake it'll keep a lot of debris out of the filter + prevent "most" snails, leaves, etc from clogging the impeller. But you still have to clean it every 2-3 months. That's my experience anyway. You'll need to rinse & squeeze out the prefilters ~/= 3 or 4 weeks but no big deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store