HELP! Just woke up and canister filter not running..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
We had a second power outage sometime in the last hour and a half.. I just checked my JEBO canister filter and it is NOT running. The air stone is.. We had one for about 45 seconds, about 4 hours ago and the pump came back on right away.. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and nothing. Even tried a different outlet. The input and output lines still show water in them, so its still pressured.. When I unplug for tank maintenance, and plug back in when done, it will make noise until I prime it.. Usually a couple of pumps and its good to go.. Now, absolutely nothing. The heater should be too.. Tank temp is currently 83, which is what the tank normally is.. It's 0135 and what do I do? I can't open the filter at the moment and take anything out of it to use in a HOF filter... What are my options until morning?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't think it being off for a few hours will be a big deal.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think it being off for a few hours will be a big deal.
Okay.. It won't restart.. I may need to get a new one when the LFS opens.. By then, will the biologicals be dead? Would I have to start over? Thanks so much.. Lori

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
you might lose some, but nothing significant. If you have an air stone and power run it.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
you might lose some, but nothing significant. If you have an air stone and power run it.
air stone is running and so is thermometer... tank is at 83 degrees, which it typically is.. I will get a new canister in the morning, use the pads and media in the current canister, and use some SafeStart.. I will also do about a 30% water change and test the tank for the next few days.. Sound good? Thank you for your help.. First time experiencing this.. Lori

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great plan...let us know how it goes!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You can if you have a mesh bag to float it in or contain it.

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
You can if you have a mesh bag to float it in or contain it.
cool... last question.... trying to deal with a 200 GPM canister at 0245 in the morning, to try and get the media out, if I don't try to do this now, will it kill everything off? At this point in time, the filter has been shut off for almost 3 hours, with no water circulating thur it..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not everything will die off, there's still O2 in the water. Remove the media if you can and set it in the tank. Not sure exactly what kind is in that canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store