Getting cories tomorrow!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The 1 does look girly plump, 1 slim, hard to say for the other 1. I'm leaning toward female too. The head standing thing, hmm, are they just looking for food? They will sometimes go head deep or more especially for live worms. I know you keep you water very clean, the split fin should head pretty fast.

Sand is inert, almost no CEC (cation exchange capacity). Even after 8 years in sand I still give my sword & crypts root tabs a few times a year. Not as often with other substrates, but I may be the world's worst fertilizer, lol. Swords need ~2 inches of substrate, they get large root masses. Maybe a java fern or 2 would be better in your tank than the sword, it may outgrow the tank, wait & see. Ferns are attached to wood or rocks like your anubias & don't need ferts.

Reactions: Sprinkle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm still voting 2 females & 1 male. Much better pics :)

Yep, I use root tab ferts in sand for swords & for "special" plants, like cryptocorynes (my favs)...& my sand is not as clean & white as yours is anymore.. It's not hard to dose & lasts quite a while, 3 or 4 months.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Once quick note re sexing and spawning. Female corys can produce way more eggs than can be fertilized by a single male. Therefore, one should ideally try to have more males than females. Nature is always pretty "smart." By needing more males, it helps to promote genetic diversity in the offspring. Besides. it is a gas watching a group of corys rolling and tumbling around a tank when they are in spawning mode.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I'm still voting 2 females & 1 male. Much better pics :)

Yep, I use root tab ferts in sand for swords & for "special" plants, like cryptocorynes (my favs)...& my sand is not as clean & white as yours is anymore.. It's not hard to dose & lasts quite a while, 3 or 4 months.
At least one male's great. So the sand gets used and overtime it's not as white? That is interesting, I certainly did not know that :)

Once quick note re sexing and spawning. Female corys can produce way more eggs than can be fertilized by a single male. Therefore, one should ideally try to have more males than females. Nature is always pretty "smart." By needing more males, it helps to promote genetic diversity in the offspring. Besides. it is a gas watching a group of corys rolling and tumbling around a tank when they are in spawning mode.
I don't really need that many eggs, just so atleast couple of them get fertilised and hatch so I could bring their number up without buying them.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just a heads up. Swords love cory eggs. I used to keep Montezuma sowrds in a planted tank. I also has corys what would spawn. And the eggs seemed to vanish fast. Now I knew many corys will eat their eggs. But when I saw a sword tail swim out of the plants with a cory egg stuck to its lips, I knew the problem was more then corys eating cory eggs. In general, getting fry is often best accomplished in a species tank i.e all one species of fish. The other option is to pull eggs if you know they have spawned and then can find the eggs. Sometimes this is out in the open like on the glass. Other times they do their best to hide them.

The one thing I can tell you for sure, the first time you spot new eggs or fry you will find yourself doing the happy-fish dance. Trust me, I know. I have been doing it for about 19 years. I still do it. :D

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My sand has many, many plants so I can't do more than a very light "swirl & vac" at most. Detritus breaks down & sifts into the sand. I have pool filter sand, a fairly large sand that is sized to collect fine debris...& it does, lol. But I don't have very many fish so they don't poop enough to keep heavy root feeders like swords happy. It's easy to tell when the root tabs run out, there are more than a couple dying leaves.

The only time I see cory eggs is if they lay them on the glass & I notice before they get eaten.

Like TTA said, the behavior is fun to watch even if you don't get fry. Another hint, fertilized eggs are tan (ish) soon after, white means infertile.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store