Getting cories tomorrow!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I might actually get them tomorrow! But it all depends on their price, if 3 cories will be affordable, I'm getting them and I will get them to breed to bring number of them up without buying more.
Temperature is my only concern, temperature range in my 33 gallon (80x35cm) is about 21-24 C, maybe even 21-25 C.
17:24 UK time - Temperature was recorded at 24 C - Seemed stable.

I'm not sure if temp is right for them.. Is it?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It can depend on the cory species, many like low 70Fs, some can handle or prefer higher or lower temps. Your temp seems fine for a majority.

If you can only get 3, try for 2 larger (hopefully female) & 1 smaller (male?). Good luck...& we're going to need pics!

Reactions: Sprinkle
Apr 2, 2002
New York
There are many species that would work. I do not know where in the UK you are, but Maidenhead Aquatics @ Windsor is an excellent store. They would only sell you appropriate corys for your tank if you are able to shop there. Here are three corys under 2 inches (5 cm) that are not too hard to find which should not break the bank and that work in your temp range.
C. habrosus
Corydoras(ln4) hastatus
C. pygmaeus

The are many more in that temp range but they are 5 cm or larger. Corys are group spawners and there should be more males than females since the females can produce more eggs than one or two males can fertilize. This is one of nature's ways of encouraging genetic diversity. Also, it is really neat to watch a group of cories rolling and tumbling around a tank when they are in spawning mode.

If you want to see more cories in the same same temp range that are also bigger (over 5 cm) , click on any one of the three links above. When you get to the Planetcatfish page, under Habitat Information, click on Show species within this range. Then scroll down until you start seeing corys. Pandas max at about 5 cm. Note: Planetcatfish gives fish sizes in SL (the distance from the tip of the snout to the base of the tail. To put it another way, the length of the fish excluding the caudal fin. )

If you look at the list with larger corys, you will see some you cannot find and many you cannot afford even if you can find them. One last thing. Most fish see any eggs as lunch and the same applies to fry. Some corys will eat their own eggs. So, if your goal is to spawn them and to raise up babies, you will likely need a second smaller tank.You may have to pull eggs to hatch on their own and then be able to grow out some to avoid predation in a community setting. But this is down the road a bit. :)

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
It can depend on the cory species, many like low 70Fs, some can handle or prefer higher or lower temps. Your temp seems fine for a majority.

If you can only get 3, try for 2 larger (hopefully female) & 1 smaller (male?). Good luck...& we're going to need pics!
Thank you for your reply! :) The store seems to be knowledgeable so hopefully they will be able to tell female/male apart. I hope to catch them on my tablets camera as photos are pretty grim :p
There are many species that would work. I do not know where in the UK you are, but Maidenhead Aquatics @ Windsor is an excellent store. They would only sell you appropriate corys for your tank if you are able to shop there. Here are three corys under 2 inches (5 cm) that are not too hard to find which should not break the bank and that work in your temp range.
C. habrosus
Corydoras(ln4) hastatus
C. pygmaeus

The are many more in that temp range but they are 5 cm or larger. Corys are group spawners and there should be more males than females since the females can produce more eggs than one or two males can fertilize. This is one of nature's ways of encouraging genetic diversity. Also, it is really neat to watch a group of cories rolling and tumbling around a tank when they are in spawning mode.

If you want to see more cories in the same same temp range that are also bigger (over 5 cm) , click on any one of the three links above. When you get to the Planetcatfish page, under Habitat Information, click on Show species within this range. Then scroll down until you start seeing corys. Pandas max at about 5 cm. Note: Planetcatfish gives fish sizes in SL (the distance from the tip of the snout to the base of the tail. To put it another way, the length of the fish excluding the caudal fin. )

If you look at the list with larger corys, you will see some you cannot find and many you cannot afford even if you can find them. One last thing. Most fish see any eggs as lunch and the same applies to fry. Some corys will eat their own eggs. So, if your goal is to spawn them and to raise up babies, you will likely need a second smaller tank.You may have to pull eggs to hatch on their own and then be able to grow out some to avoid predation in a community setting. But this is down the road a bit. :)
Thank you as well! :) I'm really keen on getting c. aeneus as from what I've heard they're really social with each other which made me choose them and they are in my water hardness range as well.
I checked on seriously fish on them as well and according to SF c. aeneus are in my temperature range too so that's good.
Trying to keep my tank without heater as I have 7 white clouds in there as well as for cory breeding purpose.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sprinkle, did you get corys? I have 5 aeneus from a club friend. In my 75g they breed sometimes (eggs always eaten), but are very people shy. I have a ton of plants, I'm not sure of genders. They no longer run & hide from me, after almost a year...still, I like them :)

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Sprinkle, did you get corys? I have 5 aeneus from a club friend. In my 75g they breed sometimes (eggs always eaten), but are very people shy. I have a ton of plants, I'm not sure of genders. They no longer run & hide from me, after almost a year...still, I like them :)
Unfortunately didn't get them yesterday as the store was closed when I arrived, but definitely getting them today and I will surely post couple photos of them :)
They're like 3.99 so I easily can afford 3 and get them to breed too.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Ok, I have been to the store. Got the cories.
This store looks good at first, but whenever you go inside it you can feel the tension between people there, especially the workers. They don't greet people, its basically like money walking inside the building on their own.
I came to that store, unfortunately, to get my first corydoras aeneus, one of their youngest workers would not talk to anyone, he would just be all silent and feed the fish, when I was waiting for someone there to take notice of me that I want to buy something, but nobody did at all as they were busy talking with others. When I said excuse me, I just got a rude response that he was busy with really nasty tone. Its not only the tension in the store, its really annoying hot there too.
Tank with plants is always empty, the void there only dead and rotting plants fill in. Their tanks may appear clean, but you do not know about water parameters, the parameters are toxic. I took samples of oroginal water that my cories come from and they're absolutely shocking. Ammonia is 0ppm luckily, NO2 (Nitrites) are 0,1ppm (toxic) and NO3 (Nitrates) are 40ppm (toxic).
They just don't bother cycling their tanks and performing 75% weekly water changes.

Here are the tests:

IMG_20200828_190721.jpgIMG_20200828_190814.jpgIMG_20200828_191145.jpg

The store name is Absolute Aquatics, never going back there again.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Congrats! They look small...& blurry, lol. I can't tell. Not to criticize, but your tank seems quite bright. The corys might like some more shaded areas on the right.

What's up with the breeder box? Is that for livebearer fry?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Congrats! They look small...& blurry, lol. I can't tell. Not to criticize, but your tank seems quite bright. The corys might like some more shaded areas on the right.

What's up with the breeder box? Is that for livebearer fry?
Thanks :) The blurriness is my camera, and yes they are small! They're about 2" and a half actually! At first I thought they were venezuelans, but looking at them now they are actually aeneus. Couple of them, when they stand still, sometimes kinda float up making them look like they want to stand on their heads. Is this normal of them?
It does look bright actually, I removed the black background due to a leak I can't stop.
I will have more plants and I'll make couple of caves so they can escape from light.
The more you critize me, the better for my tank ;)

While looking on Internet, I found something like this:

'While sand it definitely your best option, it poses a problem with live plants. Sand has a low CEC (meaning it does not absorb nutrients well) – therefore, root tabs are necessary to supply your plants with the right nutrients.

Place them at the base of your plants underneath the substrate – within a few months, your sand should be mature enough that the root tabs will no longer be necessary'

Is it true?

And I managed to take couple of photos, the cory let me take the photo actually:

IMG_20200829_134316.jpgIMG_20200829_133839.jpg

Edit: Yep, the breeder is for my livebearer fry. Picture of the fry is up in post #8.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store