FYI - Knight Gobies eat Neons.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
wetwebmedia list it this way:

Stigmatogobius sadanundio (Hamilton 1822), the Knight Goby. Asia: from India, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. To three and three fifths inch in length. Conds.: freshwater to brackish, pH 7-8, dH 9-19. temp. 20-26 C.

further research of mangroves in singapore, home of the grey knight goby, says salinity varys from 1.0005 to 1.035 depending
on the tides and the season. [35 being marine]. the article said brackish is considered from .5 to 18. how much salt do you need for 1.0005? not that much.

a few other sites polled, say 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons will do.
according to some posts, they arent keen on temps over 80.
even shadier sites say they can be acclimated total fresh or total marine.

the whole point of being brackish is flexibility to survive variation in salinity. eek out an existance where freshies and salties fear to tread.

i dont think it will do as well in a no salt tank. [i wouldnt keep it in a no salt tank] . but he's made it pretty clear we cant guilt him into returning it. and if he's doing everything else right, it probably will be around in 6 months. perhaps when he is tired of the goby being greyish black, he'll chuck it in a hospital tank with salt, start to enjoy the original color of the fish, and become a brackish fanatic.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
1.0035?! Holy crap! That's a helluva SG. You could probably float on water that thick.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Just remember that not all info you get on the net is always correct. We found a major size issue on salt side that said a Harlequin Basslet would get 12 inches on Fenners site when in fact they will get about 7 inches max. Fenner is a great guy don't get me wrong, its just not all of the info is correct. I definetly don't think I believe the 1.035. That is pretty strong saltwater. Most saltwater aquariums run 1.023-1.025. Brine Shrimp comes from saltwater that runs about 1.030. The problem with brackish is it is so undefined because of all the tidal changes. You ask one person what brackish is and then ask another and they will have totally different responses. I have always kept my brackish fish at a salinity of at least 1.005. I got this by adding 1 cup of salt per 10 gallons of water. 1 cup of salt per 10 gallons is a lot for a freshwater fish. I currently use 1.5 cups per 10 gallons of water and that brings it about 1.009-1.010. I currently keep Anableps, Mudskipper, Archers, among several gobies and mollies. I think Joe has given up on us telling him the right thing to do, so now only time will tell the outcome. The sad part is Knights are SO pretty in brackish with their black spots that generally have a pretty blue glimmer to them. Guess he will never experience this till the fish go in brackish, if ever.

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
I'm not a hopeless cause, but I can only do so much in a very small apartment. Brackish fish intrigue me - at one time I had a pair of Archers (before I realized they were brackish)....I used to catch live flies for them, seal the top of the tank and let them go in the space above the water....THAT was fun to see....but I don't know if I find brackish fish interesting enough to set up a dedicated tank later. I'll be purchasing a home in 5 months or so....maybe a moderately sized fresh, a moderately sized brackish and a moderately sized saltwater tank would look nice.

Curious, how do you accomodate the mudskippers??

howlincody

No Comment
Nov 28, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Haha. 1.035?! I don't even think the great Salt Lake in Utah is THAT salty.

Joe - I completely comprehend your situation about an apartment. I'm a lowly college student, heh. We are just trying to warn you of the risks of keeping these fish in freshwater. You have to understand where we are coming from, right? No offense is meant to you, everybody makes mistakes, it's just hard on the fish. I hope your fish DOES live but, naturally, the chances are much greater that it won't in those conditions (not impossible, though).

Also, whoever said that they heard Knight Gobies do worse in 80F+ temps, I've kept mine in 82-84F water for almost 3 and a half years with no bad effects. I know somebody that has to raise the temp that high to breed them. I did hear, however, that they like a difference in temperatures between night and day and that they do well with incandescent lighting (for the heat reasons).

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
GSL Info, provided by an Artemia supplier: SG 1.022 in the area where Artemia can live, much higher in other places. (This is 12% salinity, the lake can be up to 27% saline, and is usually at least 22% in some parts.)

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
one of my most trusted sources, the lady at my lfs, said they dont last long in fresh water.

i really just got involved in the discussion to play devils advocate.
sometimes it seems like fishy people want the job of judge but not the job of negotiator. if a group gets into a discussion where the fish is behind a door [metaphor for dialogue] that has closed, the fish can not be helped. but as long as the door is still open, the person can be persuaded to do whats best for the fish.

the upside of all this is: i did a bunch of research on knight gobys
and when i have completed building a bigger brackish tank, i will think about getting one or two.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Nice use of sarcasm, but they do look like beautiful fish. I am going by my reading when I say what I have said, so perhaps your practical experience will win out over my book-learning. I hope that you can post pix of them in 6 months, and I will truly be waiting on "tenterhooks" to see.

Best of luck (and I don't mean that sarcastically).

~Matthew

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Well for right now the Mudskipper got a little bit shafted by the other fish. He would like more places to hop about but right now has 3 in a 55. Sometime in the next several weeks I will be attaching some sheets of acrylic via silicone to the sides and corners of the tanks to make him more comfortable and make little mud flats for him. It will be cool once it is done. The tank houses the fish I listed above and will soon house 4-5 Mono Sebaes for awhile. BTW Joe, the Knights look great! I am pretty sure you identified them correctly with male/female. Males have longer filaments on the dorsal spike and females are rounder in the belly. I think Orion had these guys breed awhile ago. Can't exactly remember though. Didn't realize you had an apartment crisis! When you do move into a house definetly consider it. I mainly do brackish for the Anablep Anablep, Mudskippers and Mono Sebaes. Hope this helps and enjoy the little Knights. BTW, sorry if I was not the nicest over the past several posts, we were getting ready for vacation (which I am not happy to be on) and was totally stressed out. I have 11 setups and getting them all ready to go away for a week is not fun! We have been gone for two days now and I miss all of them already!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store