Fish dying. Need help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
No I appreciate all the advice. I'm kinda stuck though because I can't return them (it's a walmart)....well I could but they just leave them sitting behind the counter until they die and I don't want to do that to them....I guess my only other option is to buy another tank but that won't be possible until another month at least....the guy in the fish dept at Walmart told me he kept Africans with angels when I asked him about compatibility. He says he has not had any issues even when introducing new fish. Hopefully these will be the same way......if not then I'll figure something out.....would you recommend moving the angels to the 29gal?? I feel that the 29gal is already overcrowded but right now that seems to be my only other option.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The African cichlids we have at work bicker constantly, and a couple even tried to tear into the much larger blood parrots in the next tank - thru the glass!

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
So I took you're advise and gave my 2 mollies and 3 black skirts to my neighbour to make a little more room in my 29gal which now houses the Angel's and 2 guppies. In the 55gal I have 1 oscar, 7 African cichlids(not really sure which lake), and a rainbow shark. I noticed the Africans and the Oscar were chasing the Angel's all over the place and kept pecking at them so I needed to do something and this was the best solution I could do right now. I know the Angel's will need a bigger tank but I just wanted them out of the 55gal so they'd stop getting picked on so I'll take care of that situation asap(this was just a temp fix) and on a side note......I know you guys said the Oscar and Africans shouldn't be together but I've never seen them do anything aggressive to each other yet(oscar pretty much rules the tank. All the others move anytime he comes around) so hopefully this time things really are okay now lol

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Yeah, those angels gotta go now, bro. Otherwise they'll end up spinning dead through your tank. The oscar is going to be hit or miss, but one day, when he's hand-sized, he might look at those Africans and think lunch. That's when it'll go downhill. Just keep an eye out :) Making adjustments to tanks is really hard, I know :(

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Give it time. They are popular fish, and I do like them, but they can be pretty nasty at times. They have a reputation for a reason. Cichlids get territorial, and it's not just Oscars. Spend some time talking to someone who keeps cichlids and you'll soon realize they are labeled "Aggressive" for a reason.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Missed the boat about the angels. Sorry for that, dude bro. I'm still against the oscar and Afros, but as long as you watch it, and overfilter the tank, we will have to wait and see. Pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store