Fish dying. Need help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I setup this tank a week ago and did no research whatsoever until the fish started dying and so I started researching to find out why and found out about the "cycling" since doing research I have done a 25% water chance twice to lower ammonia and nitrite levels. I had two common pleco's and one turned completely white and died (not sure if white before or after dying) and the other one is starting to turn white on his head. All of the other fish seem fine and a lot more energetic since I've done water changes. I feel so guilty and bad for putting these fish in here without doing my research first but I'm trying every way possible to help them now. The pic is of the pleco. He is in a 55 gallon tank. Water temp is at 79 degrees. I bought a 5-in-1 easystrips test kit to check water quality and it shows 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, soft water, alkalinity is 120 (says that is ideal), and PH is 7.2. Which these results make me believe the cycle has not even started yet :( Is there something I can do to help the pleco?? The white head is scaring me because I don't want him to die and all of other fish (at the moment) seem fine.

20160424_015223.jpg

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
The water is also kinda cloudy as well....but I read on here that this was a part of THE "cycle" should I be concerned about this as well?

20160424_015154.jpg

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
And after learning about the tank cycle I have added 2 bottles of the Tetra safe start (I believe was the name) it said it adds the beneficial bacteria, a pouch of bio spira(also beneficial bacteria) and some stress coat medicine. The water I used to fill the tank with was half tap water(which was treated with the start right to remove the chlorine) and half distilled water in jugs.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm willing to bet that you have an ammonia spike. Unfortunately the 5 in 1 strips don't measure this and its a really important test. If you can get the API Master Kit, that's the way to go and start testing your water and doing changes until the ammonia goes down to zero and nitrites begin to show, then keep testing until the nitrites go to zero and nitrates show. Then you can get on a once a week testing and changing routine to keep nitrates below 20 ppm.

I get frustrated when this happens and don't entirely blame the newbie keeper, but the staff of the store who helped you. They should have asked questions and not sold you fish for a brand new tank. Lazy staff who just want to sell product make me angry.

Question: why half distilled water?

Also, more importantly, when was your last 25% water change?

I would recommend another for sure. But also it would be really helpful to know your ammonia levels so that I can know how much to tell you to change.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I only done half distilled because i only had enough of the safe start to treat 20 gallons so done half distilled with it. All of my water changes have been with distilled and the last one was today. I can't test for ammonia right now because none of the stores around here sale an API master kit (I live in a town that only has one traffic light so it's really small) I did order one online but it says it will not be here until tuesday. :(

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
As long as you dechlorinate your tap water with the stress coat and make sure the temp is fairly similar, you can use it. Unless your water out of your tap is really nasty there is no reason to use distilled actually.

Until the kit arrives I would be changing 50% of the water daily and feeding extremely lightly. It could be ammonia levels causing burns on your pleco, though typically they show up as red patches near the gills and soft areas first. But it could be that. Water changes are going to be your best friend.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Okay thanks! I'll increase to 50% and start doing it daily(I didn't before because I didn't really know if this would interrupt the tank cycle) I added 2 bottles of tetra's safe start and a bottle of bio-spira to start the beneficial bacteria. Should I not have done that? And does it seem like it didn't help at all?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
In the first picture it looks like you have a koi in with silver dollars and the pleco. Am I seeing this correctly? Also, exactly what fish do you have and how many? What kind of filter are you using?

Did you buy the tank at the same time you bought the fish?

I agree with Tiff. The staff should have talked to you about cycling and had you set up the tank and run it for at least 24 hours before selling you any fish. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks to ask if this is the first ever tank, and new fishkeepers often don't know what questions to ask.

The SafeStart can make the water cloudy, but it should clear up within 24 hours. It helps get the cycle going, but if you added a lot of fish, you will get a serious ammonia spike before the bacteria start working. You may need to do daily water changes to bring down the ammonia level, because high ammonia levels are very harmful to fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store