Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
We're kind of on the cusp of temp changes in many places, still hot or dropping a lot...or in my case , both, with hazy smoky skies (cough).

Cute aeneus fry! The weitzmanii eggs look almost ready don't they? Even I can tell!

I'm glad you don't talk through your vids but I may need to check out the music 1 of these days...when my husband isn't watching news or sports...
I'm pretty shy so I dont like to speak much in the videos, so you don't gotta worry at least. The music is just free to use stuff on my phone, instrumental. I try to pick something that suits the mood of the video. But still not missing much muted lol

I'm thinking tomorrow they should hatch since it'll be day 5 (cory eggs hatch between 3-5 days). And these guys have much larger eggs compared to other cories of similar size, and the babies hatch with massive yolk sacs, so im wondering if that has anything to do with how long development would take.
Its really cool to see them develop inside. Even cooler to see them move inside once they get close to hatching.

I'm really excited these weitzmani have hatched and I've got more coming. I want to increase my shoal of them (but theyre expensive to buy and hard to find!) So this is perfect. I'll keep at least 2 so I have 6 total, maybe more, depending how many make it to selling size.

My pygmies are gonna be going to their new home this week too. I've got 10 juveniles ready to go from the youngest batch. 6 of the oldest already went off to homes, same with over 20 trilineatus juveniles too.

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Unfortunately this morning the two older ones were found deceased. No known cause, but that's the case sometimes.

• Sad

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Darn! I'm sure they'll keep breeding for you
I did find 4 more eggs in the tote last night too.
I have many more eggs at least, so if this next batch fails as well, I will try a different method :)

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
It's early days with your weitzmani, you'll figure it out. I feel very confident of your cory breeding skills!
Thank you.
The adults will probably stay in the breeding tote for awhile, theyre pretty happy in there lol

For now I've segregated the remaining eggs to see if keeping them more contained will be helpful for them.
20200913_200022.jpg

If that still fails, I'll try keeping a separator like this in the parent tank to raise in there.

Pardon the biofilm. I find it is constant when leaf litter and alder cones are used lol

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Weitzmani breeding failed this round.
The developing eggs fungused over.

But im gonna try a new method.

I got a breeding mesh and placed it in the parent's tote. Once they spawn again I will place the eggs in the mesh instead of in a whole new container. I want to see if the parent water is better for the fry outlook.

The first hurtle was getting the adults to spawn, and I got that far twice, so I can try again. I will keep conditioning them and let them go at their pace

20200914_172537.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry your last batch failed :( but it's early days...

I'm glad you showed a pic of breeding mesh. Do you think the female needs a break yet or just getting up to full speed? I forget what food you're using to condition them...Maybe some more weather changes will help too ;) , it's that time of year many places.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I'm sorry your last batch failed :( but it's early days...

I'm glad you showed a pic of breeding mesh. Do you think the female needs a break yet or just getting up to full speed? I forget what food you're using to condition them...Maybe some more weather changes will help too ;) , it's that time of year many places.
I'm letting them go at their pace. Turns out I've got TWO females. The one I was a little iffy on the gender I caught being hounded by the 2 boys, and that would explain the 2 spawns this week too.

I feed 2 times a day while conditioning them. I rotate their dry foods between OmegaOne Shrimp Pellets, Bug Bites, and Northfin Carnivore pellets, and also give live baby brine shrimp and frozen OmegaOne Super Carnivore mix.

So very well fed with high protein foods.

Plus a filter on full blast for a strong current which theyre playing in right now.

Tannins and an opaque tote for more privacy since my 4 are shy wild caught fish.

If they feel like spawning again, awesome, but just gonna do their weekly water change instead of daily to let them choose to have a break if they want

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store