Cloudy water and filter change in planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Will the cloudiness disappear soon or does that take longer?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Fairly soon.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
From the picture it really doesn't look too bad.

If it's green in color, your light will affect it, as well as water changes.

If it's white/grey it might be bacteria, in which case time will clear it,

or it might be particles in the water, adding floss to your filter for a bit should help.

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
UPDATE:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm --- still not dropping.
pH: 7.6 --- i'm quite worried about this rising.

I've been keeping up with the daily water changes and the testing. The cloudiness is much improved (yay) but these test results don't reassure me as i'm used to 0 across the board and 7 to 7.2 for pH. I'm feeding 6 pellets every other day as I've always done, and the plants are thriving, so am i just being impatient?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What plants do you have?

from the pic, it just looked like a single sword...

If plants don't grow, they won't do anything with the nitrate, or were you expecting something else to lower it in your system?

Generally, it would only be lowered by thriving plants using it as a Nitrogen source, or through water changes.

personally 10ppm wouldn't worry me.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Nitrates of 10 ppm is nothing to worry about. . . I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. When was your last water change?

Edit: just saw that it was yesterday. How much are you changing?

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Nitrates of 10 ppm is nothing to worry about. . . I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. When was your last water change?

Edit: just saw that it was yesterday. How much are you changing?
I have a big sword and two tiny plants. I'm seeing a new leaf every 3 days or so in the sword, which seems like a good growth rate? I'm changing about 15 percent daily. I'm more concerned about the pH.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The pH is still safe, I wouldn't be concerned about it. But if it seems unusual to you, check your tap and see what it is coming out.
The amount of water your changing seems fine. But it could be your changes that is causing the pH to rise if your tap is higher than the tank.

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
UPDATE:

My tank is back to being crystal clear now. Thanks everyone for your help~~

Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store