Cloudy water and filter change in planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Hello~

I'm new here and fairly new to fish keeping in general and I am concerned about the how my filter is affecting my water quality. I hope you can help me diagnose and solve the issue.

To give you a bit of background. I got a 20gal tank last Thanksgiving along with LED lighting, a heater, and an AquaClear filter. My tank was fully stocked at the beginning of 2016 but a bout of itch took over and the whole crew died except for 3 diamond tetras. Since this April, my tank's back to being healthy and at the beginning of July, I added newcomers to the tank for the first time since the itch: a 2-inch Chinese algae eater and a middle size amazon sword plant. The plant's been thriving and the 4 tank mates get along pretty well.

Now's where the trouble starts. 2 days ago, I was doing some freshwater tank maintenance research and it occurred to me that I hadn't cleaned my filter since I set up the tank back in November. So I removed the filter, rinsed out the plastic case with tap water (there was some mineral build-up) and rinsed the 3 different filter components with tap water. They were all filthy - the activated carbon bag literally fell apart at the slightest touch. I used wound dressing cloth (it's not medicated or scented or anything at all) to wrap the broken bag so the carbon wouldn't fall out. This is the part I suspect I went wrong - I used rinsed them out with old tank water. Alas, I had forgotten about the whole cycling issue and had put the filter back together without a second thought.

This morning, I noticed that my tank water is a bit cloudy (looking like I'd just done a partial water change) even though the water change was 5 days ago and it remained clear until last night. It remains cloudy still. I'm worried that I disrupted the water cycle/balance. I did a water test just now to check and the parameters are:

pH: 7.2 (it's slightly higher than the usual 7.0)
Ammonia: 0.25 (higher than the usual 0)
Nitrate: 5 (higher than the 0 i'm used to seeing)
Nitrite: 0

Here's a photo I took today:
IMG_5711.JPG

I'm guessing rinsing with tap water and my carbon first aid is to blame, so I'm quite worried about my mistake and I'm also unsure about what i should do next. I'm hesitant to do anything else to the filter (such as replacing the carbon bag with a new one).

If you have any thoughts on what I should to do ensure that my tank stays healthy, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes, you killed off all your good BIO with the "Tap water Rinse". You are going to go through another cycle now, so you are going to have to do lots of WC, maybe 30% daily.
Also, carbon does not last very long, only about a month or 2 at best. I would just throw away the carbon.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Now wait just a minute. When you rinse you're carbon before putting it in the filter, you're NOT supposed to use tap water? Have I been doing this wrong all along?
Sorry...... I know I'm supposed to be helping you, but this, I really have to know!!:eek::eek:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Now wait just a minute. When you rinse you're carbon before putting it in the filter, you're NOT supposed to use tap water? Have I been doing this wrong all along?
Sorry...... I know I'm supposed to be helping you, but this, I really have to know!!:eek::eek:
It is debateable I have never seen firm evidence either way.

however there should be enough beneficial bacteria through the tank itself.

and... if you are worried, water tests should tell you your real answer

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
In an established filter you should "NEVER" clean or rinse the filter media in tap water. The chemicals in the tap water (which we add conditioners to remove) will kill the good bacteria that is on it. You should always use tank water.
There is very little beneficial bacteria in a tank, maybe on the plants and substrate, but not much. The bacteria needs good water flow to grow too (The flow inside of the filter).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
2wood, you should squeeze out your aquaclear filter sponge weekly, during your water change. I'd toss the carbon and just use sponge and bio media in your AC filter. I've rinsed the sponges in chlorinated tap water w/out issue, but I use tank water to rinse bio media.

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
UPDATE:

I've been doing small partial water changes since yesterday to help the cycle. The fish and plants seem to do OK so far. Spotted one tiny white speck on the Chinese algae eater's fin. Not sure if it's itch (!!). In the event it is, what should I do? I have aquarium salt but I don't want to kill my plants.

Today's water parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10 --- up from 5 from yesterday.
pH: 7.4 ----- any idea why this is rising?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Agreed with others you are seeing a mini cycle from killing off your bacteria. The carbon was "dead" anyway when you rinsed it as it only lasts 4-6 weeks at best. I agree with just tossing it and not using it at all, unless your water out of your tap is bad.
When you do a weekly water change squeeze out your sponge and shake out your biomedia in used tank water rather than tap water. Along with the chlorine in the water, you are also giving them a temperature shock which will cause you to lose bacteria.
pH will rise a little bit as ammonia lessens. Ammonia/Ammonium (NH3 and NH4+) are acidic. Particularly ammonium with its extra H+, this will be read on your pH test as acid, causing it to be lower. At least that's my understanding.

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
UPDATE:

The Chinese algae eater is doing fine - it turns out the white speck was just a tiny air bubble. The water is still a bit cloudy.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.4

Any idea on how it takes for the cycle to be healthy again? it hard to tell from the water parameters.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The beneficial bacteria population should double every day or 2, from the numbers, it looks like you should be good..

test again to see how numbers change, but if you see no ammonia or nitrite, you're likely re-cycled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store