Cichlid lovers, what do you do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I recently had to give my 12 inch oscar away:( :( i had him for 5 years. i gave him to my lfs. they took him and gave me 5 bucks for him. hey it better then nothing...
I'm replacing him with 7-10 kribs in his 75 gallon. I'm planning to sell the babies to the lfs, they said they'd give me 5 bucks for each baby.

To answer your question, I give him to my lfs.

P.S: the reason I gave him away was cuz he never stopped moving stuff.. I had nothing in the tank except gravel and he would swim to the bottom, then swim to the top and spit it out of the tank. I took all the gravel out but then he just layed on his side. I had to do it.. I feel so bad for him.

Jukax

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
PetsUnlimited here in Nova Scotia is sort of odd. Anything small, like barbs, tetras or corys, and you'll get a credit for the full value of the fish at retail price. I've also received full credit for some mid size fully grown cichlids - I got $24.99 for my 7" Jack Dempsey when I returned him and $14.99 for my 5" Severum.

Large cichlids (8+ inches) and large plecos are handled differently for some reason. I traded in a 13" common pleco a couple weeks ago and was told the store policy on plecos is to replace it with a baby pleco. I returned to the store the next day and they slapped a $49.99 price tag on it. Needless to say I was not impressed by that. A friend of mine recently traded in a pair of breeding Jags (approx 11" male, 7" female) and received $9.99 each for them. He visited again within the week to notice the pair listed at $89.99.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do down the road when I move out of my apartment, I've got some fish that I just barely have enough tank space for and some oddballs that don't quite fit in anywhere. I can't even imagine what they'll offer for my semi-rare, exotic fish. Haplochromis Ahli breeding pair that I bought for $70.00, or my Polypterus Senegalus pair that cost me $50 for the pair as juveniles but eat about $10 worth of food a week. Something far too low would be my guess :(

Oh well, I'm more excited about planning my new 125 or 180g tank when I finally graduate and settle down. Torn between two ideas at the moment, first option is arowana's and some marbled or motoro rays; second option is a fahaka or mbu puffer all by itself. If I could ever spend the money on it, M. Tigrinus would be awesome as well :)

Toooloud

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
LFS's around here will give 1/2 of what they sell them for on fresh water, larger fish will be taken on Consinment.. meaning they will take it and tell you a value.. then depending on how many days its there and how much they feed it.. he value slowly decines..

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
oh, I didn't know they were 600 dollars, nvm don't get it, I can get one here for 50 bucks, I thought it would be around there.

That' seems fair Toooloud, I think that would be a way to buy fish off people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store