Cichlid lovers, what do you do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spartyblaze

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Hey, just a quick check - what does everybody do with their fish once they've outgrown their tanks?
I usually do what any aquarium nut would do (and according to my bank statement, the most expensive option) and BUY A BIGGER TANK for them. I've also passed a few onto friends, and my fish normally exterminates all others in their new home.

What about credit at LFS? What % do you normally get, on average? My local place refuses to buy or give credit for fish, which I personally take offense to - especially because I've spent thousands there in the past years..... But I'm considering switching because of this recurring problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space for a fish room, like Mojo's - but I just can't bear to let my babies go after watching them grow for so long....

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
That is how I ended up with multiple tanks. However sometimes you just see a fish you want and need a change. There are many people with aquariums at my work, and recently I found a home for my 2 oscars. If you ask around at your work you may be surprised how many keen aquarists there are, and will be willing to look after unwanted fish. LFS will usually offer very little.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
yes mojo, we're all lucky enough to have a pond in our basement. :D

i ususally give them to the lfs or a friend. but not usually because it's too big but because i want something new or the fish is creating problems in the tank.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by MoJo
The pond. Any of the non-paired fish or fish that have outgrown the biggest tanks...get ponded.
I can just see it.... all these cichlids roaming in the pond, and "Jumbo" gets added. One of the established cichlids comes up to Jumbo...

Random Cichlid: What's your name, fish?

Jumbo: My name is Gladiator.

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
Originally posted by spartyblaze

What about credit at LFS? What % do you normally get, on average? My local place refuses to buy or give credit for fish, which I personally take offense to - especially because I've spent thousands there in the past years..... But I'm considering switching because of this recurring problem.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to sell full grown cichlids? I work at a LFS, and we only accept fish on donation because we lose money if we give store credit. They take up huge amounts of space, eat a ton, and take months to sell, if that soon. I would look at a LFS as a last resort for getting rid of fish, you have no idea of what kind of home they are finding. Do research before buying fish to learn the adult size of the fish and buy accordingly.

When I started in this hobby I had a oscar, JD, and firemouth in a 30 gallon tank with some danios and gouramis. I did the research and found out that a 30 gallon could not house them for long. I did the responsible thing and bought a large tank (100 gallon) and today my fish are happy and healthy.

I find it extremly irresponsible to buy a fish just to trade it in or give it away. Fish are a pet, like any other animal and buying one is a long term commitment.

[Edit:] After rereading my post it seem that I am thrashing spartyblaze, but I am not. I am thrashing irresponsible fish keepers around the globe.

Last edited:

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
i killed the fish that grew too big for the tank,not my fault since my dad bought it without consulting me,then i put it in a tank,lied about saying it died of disease,if i released it in the canals,he would kill me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store