Big Plans!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I love the begging vid. I'm sure I've mentioned teaching our "common" pleco to "wink for a tabby" (or pellet or wafer bit). More of a both eye roll. It's a fun easy game I bet your son would like too. I'm sure you've seen the many fun "goldfish games" too...maybe not for your naturalistic tank. Our lovebirds also played basketball in a way; just a fun with pets thought ;) :) I know you have "tiels", I bet they'd like games too. OK, we never had kids...How lame were we? But it was fun!

My only time trying clove oil didn't work fast enough or well enough for me. It was quite distressing. Luckily I haven't needed to go there in a long time. Euthanasia is always a hard choice but necessary at times.
Haha our tiels are old and set in their ways... anything new is terrifying. They're sorta neurotic. Used to have lovebirds though, they played with all sorts of things. Ping pong balls were a favourite.

Id bet the goldfish would have fun with ping pong balls every now and again though, but id have to stick a freeze dried cube treat to it and let them have at it...

You know what, now I know what I'm doing when I get home from camping lol!

The pleco begs for food too he sees the goldfish and hoplos get going so he comes and waits up front too.

It's a very interactive tank, very fun

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Despite quarantine, new guy still brought ich to the big tank anyways. But treatment is over and all are good. No losses. Funny enough while the rest of the tank got ich, the new goldfish did not break out in a single speck. Go figure.

20220729_220658.jpg

Sizes of everyone. See the new guy in the middle above Spotty the calico fantail
20220729_220855.jpg

And Hammerhead himself, who is not easy to photograph as hes always moving.
20220729_220938(0).jpg

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
And a video of food time

• Love
Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Very, very cute! You have extreme patience & your hoplos especially have bulging tummies, lol. What kind of food was that? I'm guessing a frozen cube of something...

My best hand feeders were juvenile discus that got fed 5 or 6 times/day. Never would any foods have lasted as long as yours in the video did. I could cup them in my hand when they were little. They didn't care as long as there was any kind of food on offer...Fun times & good memories, thanks for that!

2tank amin has papers thet say there is some immunity for fish that have had ich, they can't get it again in some amount of time. I'll let him show the links.

Last edited:

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Very, very cute! You have extreme patience & your hoplos especially have bulging tummies, lol. What kind of food was that? I'm guessing a frozen cube of something...

My best hand feeders were juvenile discus that got fed 5 or 6 times/day. Never would any foods have lasted as long as yours in the video did. I could cup them in my hand when they were little. They didn't care as long as there was any kind of food on offer...Fun times & good memories, thanks for that!

2tank amin has papers thet say there is some immunity for fish that have had ich, they can't get it again in some amount of time. I'll let him show the links.
Food was a freeze dried blackworm cube, I use them as treats lol

So if the immunity thing was what happened, that would explain it. And why I didn't see any thinking it was all clear haha
Oh well, it's all cleared up and there was no losses. Treated with Malachite green and acriflavine at half dose because catfish, cleared up very well.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A woman after my old school ich treatment heart! It always seems to work...although I haven't had to treat for ich in many years (knock wood!). Well, I haven't had new fish for several years now (sniffle). I "think" immune fish can still be carriers, hidden in the gills or water. Glad you fish are all better now!

I wondered if those were blackworms or my dreaded tubifex (never again!). I didn't like to guess in case they were...I fed my fish "loose" FD blackworms back in my discus growing days. I think I'm not a huge fan of freeze dried foods but in some cases I might be ok with them again with soaking or hand feeding; some are so crumbly & take forever to sink, meh. I don't have fish that surface feed these days, so FD brine shrimp are out.

I got a new food sample with my Repashy gel foods order, rice worms! They really are the size of long grained rice. Not FD but looks like vacuum packed formerly live. I don't know where the name comes from but I bet my corys go nuts for them! Have you heard of or tried them? From some Malaysian place...sorry, tangent thought, but you usually don't mind...since we're talking food, lol.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
A woman after my old school ich treatment heart! It always seems to work...although I haven't had to treat for ich in many years (knock wood!). Well, I haven't had new fish for several years now (sniffle). I "think" immune fish can still be carriers, hidden in the gills or water. Glad you fish are all better now!

I wondered if those were blackworms or my dreaded tubifex (never again!). I didn't like to guess in case they were...I fed my fish "loose" FD blackworms back in my discus growing days. I think I'm not a huge fan of freeze dried foods but in some cases I might be ok with them again with soaking or hand feeding; some are so crumbly & take forever to sink, meh. I don't have fish that surface feed these days, so FD brine shrimp are out.

I got a new food sample with my Repashy gel foods order, rice worms! They really are the size of long grained rice. Not FD but looks like vacuum packed formerly live. I don't know where the name comes from but I bet my corys go nuts for them! Have you heard of or tried them? From some Malaysian place...sorry, tangent thought, but you usually don't mind...since we're talking food, lol.
Never mind tangents haha

I think I've heard of rice worms for other creatures but not for fish. Will be on the lookout for those!

I've tried black soldier fly larvae, but the casings were thick so only the bigger fish could enjoy them chopped.

I do freezedried as a once a month treat. It's not the best because it can cause digestive problems due to the trapped air, but as a small occasional treat its fine. Mine love the freeze dried worm cubes. Even my badis likes them. He gets them daily though because they're the only dried foods I can convince him to take.

As for ich treatments, I know there's several, but ive had good results using the m green and acriflavine combo and have never had bad reactions with the fish with it. But careful handling of the stuff still because it's not the gentlest of chemicals.

Salt isn't good because hoplos and pleco, and I know some ich strains are beginning to become resistant to salt now as well.

And heat treatment, some ich is resistant to heat now as well, but also goldfish are Coldwater fish so I'd like to avoid heat. Can barely avoid it in the summer, but still.

The m green has always worked best for me and quickest. Usually clears within days for me with that. That said, ich at least is probably one of the better diseases to deal with. Better ich than worms or flukes. Easier to treat ich here with Canada's fish med ban lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I also find ich pretty easy to treat early on...& we in the US have less restrictrictions than you Canadians do on meds. We have many antibiotics, wormers etc. that you can't get but you still have effective options to treat many diseases...that's why it's good to have AC members all over the place. Australians seem to be very limited, maybe Europe too. It's always changing...hard to keep up.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I also find ich pretty easy to treat early on...& we in the US have less restrictrictions than you Canadians do on meds. We have many antibiotics, wormers etc. that you can't get but you still have effective options to treat many diseases...that's why it's good to have AC members all over the place. Australians seem to be very limited, maybe Europe too. It's always changing...hard to keep up.
Lol no us Canadians... we have "herbal" stuff (I dunno, lots of things listed as herbal treatments), m green, m blue (when it's not sold out everywhere), formalin (in an m green combo only), melafix, pimafix, acriflavine, and maybe nitrofurazone. Many other things are super hard to get a hold of.

I got the last of the dewormer stock from the only online source that had it before they had to discontinue it.

I managed to snag some panacur though, it's in storage.

Have to hoard meds here at any cost, and give yourself a headache trying to work around it.

Absolutely no antibiotics available. Some antibacterial agents , (acriflavine, nitrofurazone, etc) but no true antibiotics.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I thought you could get "some" real antibiotics. Probably like many things that used to be. I too have a stash of old fish drugs (people stuff too, lol) My husband's a retired pharma chemist & lets me know if he thinks they're still safe & effective long after they expire. Everything here must have an expiration date even ridiculous things. In my state everything come with a cancer warning too. As if "natural or herbal products" can't have issues, but no need to prove efficacy or even safety. OK, sorry, just 1 of my rants...

The rice worms look to have a softer outside than say, mealworms. The label says good for many critters; birds reptiles, fish...etc. I've been too busy to commit to opening even a sample package. My corys are likely the only fish I have now that would eat them & I don't know how long they might keep room temp or fridge. I hope they sink

My birds were not mealworm fans although the finches knew they were food. They'd squish out a bit of the "guts" & throw the "shells" on the almost mealworm colored carpet, eww! The lovebirds thought I was poisoning them & cackled at both me & the worms. They ate many foods but not wiggly 1s lol, little wimps. Pets are funny!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store