Betta in community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If you're feeding a good quality flake and feeding variety, you're fine.

For example, Hikari Betta Bio Gold has 38% crude protein, 4% fat and 3% fiber. Hikari Tropical Micro Wafers have 44% Protein, 8% fat, and 2% fiber. Fluval Tropical Flake (which actually has pretty good ingredients) has 44% protein, 6% fat and 2% fiber. So the protein and the fat are a little higher and the fiber a little lower. But if you supplement with something like the spirulina brine shrimp that Hikari sells you'll make up for the fiber and add a lower protein treat. If you don't want to do the spirulina brine adding some veggie flake is another option, I used to buy the marine fish ones because they were better quality than what I could find for fresh water fish. In a large tank he's going to be more active, as other's have said, so the extra protein may actually do him good. In the wild they're likely to be spending most of their time eating inverts, so a lot of protein is quite natural to them.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Also, be sure to check the ingredients on the packaging when you are selecting new foods. Be sure that there is not too much wheat in the ingredients list. My recommendations are:

New life spectrum betta pellets
Hikari mini algae wafers
Mini frozen bloodworms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store