Betta in community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
2 days later and Bob is perfectly happy. Haven't seen any issues. And while he seems perfectly happy with flaked food, I've been trying to feed the flakes away from him and letting him get a few pellets. Then he goes and eats the flakes too. Pig. In his tiny old tank he was only getting 1 pellet a day. Hope he doesn't explode lol.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Some bettas eat flakes with no problem, others look at them like they're poison. I feed my bettas betta specific pellets and supplement with frozen foods.

Michelle, you're definitely not wrong. It's all about the traits of the individual fish. Some angel fish are nasty buggers, others not so much.
The angelfish my cousin bought was EVIL. Might have been a nasty disposition, might have been due to being added to an unsuitable environment, and it might have been both. I have never again kept angels. I like them fine in other people's tanks, they look great in a species only tank, but due to that one bad experience, I've had no interest in keeping them. But I have kept many, many bettas over the years. I keep them in their own tanks because of the stock in my other tanks either being nippy or outright predatory.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
YES! I completely and totally agree that it depends on the fish. Molly fish, for example, are usually pretty calm fish. I have one that I think may be a maniac. Glad your Betta's doing okay, and the diet you are feeding him sounds okay too.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
In the larger tank he has more opportunity to be active and that does make a difference in how much energy they burn. The extra food and activity usually ends up being good for them.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Yes, That's true. Bettas that live in smaller tanks don't have space to be flying around the tank so that's when you really need to watch how much you feed them.

Jay_S

I can do it ... hold my beer.
Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
I hate to be one of those people but here we go. when i keep bettas in flake eating company i will alternate thier flakes and betta flakes. most fish flakes as a rule unless they are identified as being only veggy or algea / spirlina are most made of fish or shrimp protien mixed with some vegyness. so it might not hurt him to have it it might be good to inculde his own food on a day or two. and on that day drop in some of the veggy crisps or pellets waifers etc. on the other side after you get the betta eating his grub. just my two bits works for me might help and appologies if this was already know by you.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Yes, I definitely agree on the algae or veggie wafer things. A good Brand is the hikari mini algae wafers. It's really good to feed your fish variety.

Oiler3535

AC Members
Mar 29, 2015
Renfrew
I hate to be one of those people but here we go. when i keep bettas in flake eating company i will alternate thier flakes and betta flakes. most fish flakes as a rule unless they are identified as being only veggy or algea / spirlina are most made of fish or shrimp protien mixed with some vegyness. so it might not hurt him to have it it might be good to inculde his own food on a day or two. and on that day drop in some of the veggy crisps or pellets waifers etc. on the other side after you get the betta eating his grub. just my two bits works for me might help and appologies if this was already know by you.
I make sure to include Betta pellets that he eats most days too. I also feed my tank some brine shrimp or blood worms a few times a week and he'll eat some of that too. Seems to be doing well still, though he doesn't get along with my cherry at all. Poor cherry gets anywhere near him and he'll puff up and chase the cherry

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Bloodworms are definitely a good idea. Feed too often though, and you'll wind up with a sick fish. I feed them every weekend to my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store